Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2009, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

permit question

I am looking to get into starting an organic lawncare program, I live in NY and they have some strict pesticide regulations. My question is do you need a pesticide permit to apply products from ict or other compost tea suppliers?
2-48" husqvarna walkbeind with sulky
36" toro walkbehind
4 T242-210 shindaiwa trimmers
2 husqvarna back back blowers
2 22" husqvarna mowers
husqvarna chainsaw
743b bobcat skid steer
2-Ryan Aerators
2- Bluebird de-thatchers
2-HS75 stihl hedgo trimmer
1 husqvarna hedge trimmer
300 gallon turbo turf hydroseeder
50 gallon turbo turf hydroseeder

Fully Insured/Registered/Pay Taxes
Old 03-29-2009, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It depends, if you say it controls, mitigates or repels any pest be it disease, insect, weed, or otherwise, you must have a pesticide license. Now, if its just a fertilizer, supplement or soil amendment and that is all you say to any potential or current customer, spray away!
Old 03-29-2009, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Florida is the same way. Just dont make claims you are trying to rid pests. Just promote a healthy ORGANIC lawn. And you should be good. I also know in Florida if you put someone with a pco license on the books you can claim what ever you want. Not sure if that is the case though in NY. Just do your research with your state and you should be in the clear. Wish you the best of luck.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I finally got an email back from my local dec office and this is the response i recieved:

The commercial application of any pesticide as defined in our regulations requires certification and business registration by this Department. http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4424.html We don't distinguish between pesticides so anything you use, regardless of whether its a registered pesticide with an EPA Reg No or exempt from registration, on someone elses property to repel, kill, prevent, etc any pest is a pesticide and subject to all our regulations.

The use of these products the way you have phrased your question, for fertilizer or the health of the soil, would not be subject to our regulations but as soon as you market any of these to reduce weeds or other pests you are crossing into our jurisdiction.

Thanks for all your help, your answers were right on.
Rick
36" toro walkbehind
2 22" husqvarna mowers
husqvarna chainsaw
743b bobcat skid steer
2-Ryan Aerators
2- Bluebird de-thatchers

Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLawns View Post
I finally got an email back from my local dec office and this is the response i recieved:

The commercial application of any pesticide as defined in our regulations requires certification and business registration by this Department. http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4424.html We don't distinguish between pesticides so anything you use, regardless of whether its a registered pesticide with an EPA Reg No or exempt from registration, on someone elses property to repel, kill, prevent, etc any pest is a pesticide and subject to all our regulations.

The use of these products the way you have phrased your question, for fertilizer or the health of the soil, would not be subject to our regulations but as soon as you market any of these to reduce weeds or other pests you are crossing into our jurisdiction.

Thanks for all your help, your answers were right on.
Rick
Rick
You will find that the DEP will bend over backwards to help you get informed to the law of New York, they are a wonderful bunch, really very helpful

You will also find that when licensed they are determined to uphold the law and will bend over backwards to uphold the law, if you get my drift

I would suggest you go through the licensing process and learn the NY laws, it is very helpful in the long run

In this case "inorgance is bliss" may not be good for your company in the long run, many if not most CT applicators are licensed applicators
Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I am going to get licensed, I am just waiting for a 30 hr course to be available. In NY I have to take a 30hr course and take a test. then apply for the permit. I am just doing some research before i jump in.

thanks for you help
36" toro walkbehind
2 22" husqvarna mowers
husqvarna chainsaw
743b bobcat skid steer
2-Ryan Aerators
2- Bluebird de-thatchers

Old 03-31-2009, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLawns View Post
I am going to get licensed, I am just waiting for a 30 hr course to be available. In NY I have to take a 30hr course and take a test. then apply for the permit. I am just doing some research before i jump in.

thanks for you help
Very cool, I would love to hear about the process, keep us up to date

You will find, and probably already know, that it really has nothing to do (well not much) with lawn and landscape care, it is about the laws in NY and how to stay compliant