Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-01-2009, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Another Scag Tiger Cub Problem

I posted yesterday about my tiger cub not starting and i got a lot of advice that was very good. I got the mower running today and decided to change the Hydrolic and filter. I went to the scag dealer and they gave me 2 quarts of 20w50. I emptied the fluid, changed the filter and added the 2 quarts into the resivior. I fired the mower up and it doesnt move. I looked at the manual when i got home and saw that it said the hydo fluid should be 3 inches from the top. My question is #1 -does anyone know how much hydro fluid a tiger cub takes? #2 even if it is low on fluid shouldnt it work a little? The mower was moving fine before i decided to change the fluid. I am sure this is something simple. However, my shop is 30 min from my house and i know i am going to be thinking about this all night so if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check your manual. I think they also have an on line manual available. On my Wildcat when I changed , had to sit and move leavers back and forth for a few minutes before fluid reached pumps and or motors and the mower could move. You can also jack up rear wheels and move levers to set into motion. and prime system.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

the manual says to run at idle speed w/ control levers at the nuetral position for 5 min. I didnt do that, maybe that is my problem. I just ran it for a 30 seconds and then got scared that maybe some how i was doing damage to the mower. The last thing i need is to blow a hydo pump because of some stupid mistake.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag "problems"

Yes your Scag does have problems, You! LOL. Exact reason I let my dealer change the hydro fluid and peform the maintenance on my Scag. That way it doesn't have any "problems" that i can create.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That 5 minutes is to bleed the air out of the system. If you don't run it long enough, it won't bleed the air out. Did you start it back up and let it run?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I made the mistake of taking it to the dealer once. They had it for 6 working days and charged me $600 for a head gasket leak. I got the mower back from them and the sump seal was leaking. They wanted another $350 to fix that.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

ALC-GregH

I am going to do that first thing in the morning. I just ran it for 30 seconds and when it wasnt working i decided to not take any chances. I figured it was an air in the system issue, i just wasnt sure if there was a bleeder valve someplace. So it sound like i should just be able to run it for five minutes and it will work fine?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's my take. The system is very similar to a power steering system on a car. Matter of fact it's really the same thing only applied to a mower. Why not go out and start it up now? The pump and motors will have oil in them enough to not cause damage.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Normally when I change the fluid I also fill the filter with oil before installing it to reduce air in the system. After you run it for the 5 minutes make sure to check the oil level again. Also if you didn't fill the filter up you'll probably have little air bubbles in the oil. It would be best to let it sit overnight again (for the little bubbles to work out) before running it hard.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

ALC-GregH

My mower is in my shop that is about 30 min from my house. I am going to give it a try tomorrow.

Tags
cub , hydro , hydrolic , scag