Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-29-2009, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My new Grandstand

Haven't used it yet, but it looks like a good machine. I do have one minor concern. Will the belt guard actually stay on the deck? they are only secures in two spots with rubber grommets. It certainly doesn't look like they'll stay on the deck.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Sponsor

Hello lilweeds - In addition to the rubber grommets you referenced, the belt cover is retained by a quick-release swell latch. The swell latch allows for quick and easy removal and replacement of the belt cover during routine maintenance, but the system is indeed prone to some cover vibration/movement, particularly when traveling over rough terrain. At the customer's option, the swell latch may be replaced with a threaded knob (installed by a Toro dealer free of charge). The threaded knob design still allows for removal and replacement of the belt cover without tools, but it provides greater clamping force, and in turn less vibration/movement of the cover during operation.

Thanks - The Toro Company
Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did use it, and they stayed on better then I thought. Do you have the part number for that kit?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Sponsor

Belt Cover Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilweeds View Post
I did use it, and they stayed on better then I thought. Do you have the part number for that kit?
There is no kit for the belt cover knobs. Because the conversion uses existing Toro parts, a bulletin containing a list of the necessary parts and installation instructions was simply provided to all dealers who carry Toro Landscape Contractor Equipment.

Thanks - The Toro Company
Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

lilweeds. How do you like your grandstand so far? I am thinking of trading my z-master in for a gs 19 h.p. 48". My walkbehind was not worth repairing and I was thinking I could not replace rather buy a grandstand and trade the Z. Did you get a chance to really run it yet? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've ran it on a few 1/4-3/4 acre lots and so far I like it. Last year my set up was a Kubota ZD 25 and a scag 48 WB. I went with the 52 since it's right in between. The cut is perfect. I was surprised the shields didn't fall off, so I'm not sure the repair above is needed. I've only put a couple hours on it, so it's still like new, but hills are great, it won't lift no matter what anyone tells you. I'd buy another.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

lilweeds,
Do you like your kubota?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I sold it over the winter, all I have now is this GS. The Kubota was ok, there are alot of things I liked. The front axle doubling as a jack and the engine, well it's unstopable. However it was HEAVY, up till last years model you couldn't lock the axle straight which made it cut uneven and the cut from the machine was just so so. My GS cuts so much cleaner and I would recommend the Turbo Force deck over any other I've tried.

The reason I sold it, was I needed the cash over the winter with the slow fall I had and I think the right side hydro was starting to give out on it. It was real weak on that side going up the hills. From what I'm told it's not a cheap fix on those machines. Anyhow this is a Toro forum, no more Kubota talk!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys, it's been a few weeks, let's talk some more about this machine.

First I must say this is much better then riding. I love how it hold hills, the comfort of standing, the visibility. Yes I can say standing is better. Turbo Force cuts better then anything I have used.

Now lets talk downsides....

Don't get me wrong I am in the for the long haul and will be patient, but the quality control over there at Toro needs MAJOR help.

Right side wheel motor housing..... Not one but two missing welds. Didn't notice at first till I started to feel a clunking and then saw the right side wheel toe in then out when changing direction, not good.

Second hardware, come on tightening a bolt correctly isn't hard. Now I have gone over everything, and alot was loose. Somethings like the left front deck strut bolt keeps coming loose. Any fixes for that?

Platform falls down when walking behind, and damm it hurts the shin when it falls! Not much I can do but put a washer behind the strike plate maybe.

Last a few suggestions......

One shorten the spacer on the park brake a 1/8 inch or so, that way the nut can stay tight.

Second the lock for transport height needs to be taller and thicker. Good bump and it pops off and I know if I don't someone will break it off.

Third, MORE REVERSE SPEED! I'm not talking 90MPH, but come on it is way too slow!

I am sure there will be other things. I also understand it's the first year of this machine. It is all understandable that things happen.

Mr. Toro my dealer is Walker Mower and Equipment in Reading, PA can you make sure my new right side wheel motor housing and Hydro filters are a big priority to you! Also he needs the parts to clamp the belt shield on the deck better, and the less I have to visit the dealer the better.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks to Toro for the call today. Sounds as if you are aware of the little issues and prepared to continue improving what is a great machine. Walker's called and everything is ready to go! All fixed up. Thanks again!