Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

suppliers of bulk mulch-soil to resell?

I was wondering how supply yards get their material to resell. Anyone have this info?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you mean? Location is everything and then of course your form of advertising. You have to be creative in my area in placement of your business and quality of product and other good business practices because we have one company that seems to have taken over this industry.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I mean how do you become a supplier? Where do I get the dirt and mulch to sell?

I know where I can buy it retail but how are they getting the product to sell for profit?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just like any business. There are wholesalers.

Just look up wholesale mulch in your area.

Here if I buy dyed mulch retail its $35 a yard. If i buy a tractor trailer load from the wholesaler its $14 a yard.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well there are no doubt places like here, that sell the product whole sale because they have the means to produce it. If you can produce it yourself even better. Gravels and sand are usually bought from the local quarries, or from the local cement yards (which get it from the quarries). I've been kicking around the idea of starting this business as well but we'll see. At the very least if you have room and the money, I'd start mixing your own brand of topsoil and screening it. If you're state allows for composting, I'd do that on your own as well. Composting takes A LOT more room and time so you need to have a constant supply of it.

Around here, I have a few options for bark. I have companies that make their own (grind it and compost it) and sell it retail and whole sale. I'd come up with my own recipe for topsoil and screen my own, and I'd prefer to make my own compost. The composting regulations are somewhat strict I guess in this state, I'll have to look into that when the time comes. All my gravels and sands would come from the quarry or from a cement yard (depending on time and distance etc).

When it comes to topsoil and compost, you have to really have a good understanding of what it's made of, how it'll benefit the soils and plants it's assisting and be aware of what people are looking for. You can't just screen any topsoil and sell it and expect people to gobble it up. Now, you can offer things like fill dirt, screened soil, and then topsoils with various blends (50% loam 50% compost, or whatever mix you want).

Like I mentioned, good business practice will get your name out there and product will start to sell.