Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Zero turn for 2 acre yard

I just moved next door to my parents on a 2 acre yard (originally this was 2 acres of their 5 acres, though this 2 acres didn't used to be mowed). After a year of freeloading on their mower, it's time to purchase my own. My parents use a John Deere 445 tractor that works well for their needs (plowing, towing trailers, mowing). I'm looking to get a zero turn mower that will mow my 2 acres most of the time, and occasionally mow their 3 acres if their tractor is in the shop (I've loved zero turn mowers since I used my grandad's as a kid).

I've talked to a few dealers and heard conflicting information so far. The first dealer was absolutely sure a $3k Toro would be perfect for my needs. The second dealer was more stuck on a $5k Husqvarna (and had an F rating with the BBB, so I'm probably not going to go with them...). The third dealer was convinced a $7k Grasshopper would be perfect. From browsing tips on this site it looks like some would also suggest a used commercial grade mower.

What suggestions would you all have?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would think that a 3k toro would do just fine for two acres. I don't see the need in your situation to spend much more than that.

I wouldn't recomend it for commercial use, but some like the cub-cadet zero-turn from the box stores.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Toro.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Cool, thanks for the advice. One other question: Would I be better off with the $3k range new mower or a used commercial mower. It sounded like some folks here liked the idea of a used commercial mower with under 1000 hours (like this perhaps: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/1080681810.html). One concern I have going that route is that I'm not sure how to tell the difference between a good deal and a disaster in waiting. Would I want to take it to a local shop for a checkup before buying, or should I just stick with the new route to be safe...

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2009, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you go new, you'll have the factory warranty. So that's something to consider.

If you go with a used commercial, it's a fifty-fifty proposition. You could find a good one with no issues, or find one that looks to have been maintained, fluids changed regularly, etc.. but, you might blow a wheel motor, or pump, or spindles.

So, it's something you have to weigh. If your handy and mechanically incline, then by all means find a used one.

That great dane looks to be a good deal.

I'd stay away from the bobcat, I hated working on those things when I was a part-time mechanic. I always thought they were cheap, but, I primarily worked on Dixie Choppers.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Excellent points! Thanks for your help!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok one more question. I've been in touch with the guy selling the Great Dane and he seems legit. He said the mower was a 2004 or 2005. I've been scouring these forums for Great Dane info and found mostly good things, however in pre-2006 there are lots of bad reviews relating to difficulty getting parts while Great Dane was being bought and sold. From doing some quick web searches, it still looks like Great Dane parts are still pretty hard to find. Are new replacement parts for older GD's even still being created or would this be like buying a Daewoo car?
Old 04-10-2009, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

So after talking to the local mower shop that services Great Danes, parts aren't a problem any more. Ended up buying that mower and my wife loves it. I'm not sure if that's good or not...
Old 04-10-2009, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Wife Loves the Mower

This is good in that you won't have to mow the lawn anymore. On the other hand, I think the ZTRs are so much fun I can't wait to start mowing again, and you are missing all the fun! Sounds like you got a great deal!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

PS: How about a picture of the new machine?

Tags
homeowner , mower , zero turn