Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2009, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Durable fescue for low maintenance property

hi guys,
this isn't going on a sports field but i'm asking in this forum because i figure you guys deal with sports turf that can take a beating. i have 2 needs, one is my own backyard where my dogs run the fence line and the other is a mfg plant that has no irrigation and hills that we cut that we are trying to get grass to grow that can take mowers going on and just general durable grass so the place looks nice when it gets hot. here is a list rutgers has on their recommended list and want to know what you guys might use in these app's

http://www.titanlimited.com/research/rutgerstraffic.pdf

thanks ,
steve
Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For the mfg plant the fescue is probably a good choice. For the dog run, I would want something with more recovery potential such as Kentucky Bluegrass. Fescue is a bunch type grass that does not spread or fill in especially well. KBG establishes slowly but has rhizomes that will self heal to an extent if compaction and wear are not overwhelming. If you go with KBG, be sure to fertilize a couple times a year even if it is a low maintenance area to give the rhizomes a chance.

You may be far enough south to consider warm season grasses. I don't know.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Member

For cool season grass k31 for your non irrigated hillside. If you keep it thick (overseed + aeration) it won't get clumpy and it will always come back in the fall after a hot dry summer. As for your 2 dogs? running along the fence line. There is no solution. I would suggest spraying roundup from the trail to the fence line so it doesnt resemble a trail. Just call it edging
Old 04-10-2009, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If its truly an industrial site....K31 might just be it like TM said. Feed heavy in the fall and none in the spring. You DO NOT want to be cutting k31 after a week of rain with a fresh fert. It's a much wider blade of grass.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the help so far guys !!!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Foreplease is right--you need the Kentucky bluegrass for its spreading ability--so necessary for recuperation from traffic or burnout.

But K-31 is so last year. It was of low quality in 1960. Today there are about a hundred better cultivars of tall fescue. "Titan" is a good choice. But for best results try to get something from the top 10 tall fescue cultivars in the National Turfgrass Evaluation Trials, for your state, from the 2008 results. At least in to top 20. Try 3rd millenium, or Firecracker or Mustang. You should get better color, narrow leaf blade, better drought resistance, and better disease resistance.
http://www.ntep.org/