Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2009, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome & a few suggestions

Glad to see you on the forum.
I've been enjoying Toro machines for many years, most recently an 08 T2 36" and a 08 48" Z.

I just wanted to mention a few things I would like to see on your equipment sometime.
I'd love to see a one step height adjustment on the T2 floating deck walk-behind. Quite a few other manufacturers are coming out with it and I would love to see it on yours. Its faster and safer for my workers.
I also think a 40" or 36" grandstand would be wonderful.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would buy a 40" grandstand tomorrow assuming its deck width matched the wheelbase so that you can mow low turf with it without taking huge gouges out of the turf.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Sponsor

GrandStand Deck Sizes

brucec32 - Thanks for your positive endorsement of the Toro GrandStand. We have received several requests for additional deck sizes and are evaluating the various options.

The Toro Company
Old 04-16-2009, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good. I'm curious why you and other manufacturers will put out 48" and 52" machines, since that is a very small difference, yet only Toro it seems even bothers with 40-42" machines, which I find to be a very good compromise between a 36" (too narrow for wider areas) and 48" (sometimes too wide for 4 foot wide gates)

Is there some technical advantage to a 52" machine vs a 48"? That's just a 8.3% wider cut. That would even theoretically save fewer than 2 minutes on most small/medium sized residental lawns.

A stand-on/walk behind combo machine is ideal (stand when you can, walk when you hit something too steep to ride it on, plus save having to purchase a seperate walk behind just for occasional use). Just please don't ignore the special demands of southern turf. Because most of the population growth in the US is headed that direction.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Sponsor

Deck Sizes

brucec32 -
Different markets have different preferences, and there is a strong demand for both deck sizes across the U.S. In some markets contractors will only use 48" mowers while other markets prefer 52". We're glad you appreciate the advantages of Toro's 40" deck, we've received similar comments from other landscape professionals.

Technically speaking 52" decks offer two advantages; wider cut (which you identified) and in some cases improved trimming. While 8.3% or 2 minutes per lawn may not seem like much, over the course of the day/week this can really add up. In the case of Toro mowers (we can't speak for other brands) our 52" decks are more offset outside the left drive tire providing improved trimability. This improved trimability along hardscapes and around beds and landscape structure can significantly reduce time spent on the jobsite string trimming.

Toro feels similarly regarding the exclusive ride and walk benefits of our Toro GrandStand mower. This two-in-one versatility can reduce the investment, maintenance and trailer space associated with an extra mower. You can rest assured Toro will continue to take into account the special demands of southern turf.

Thanks for your comments - The Toro Company