Register free!

Old 09-07-2002, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

5 must have tools over $350.00 but under 2500.00

I am looking at budgeting new equipment purchases for irrigation. What are 5 must have tools for installs or service work. currently have a Mini sneaker with out a horizontal boring attachment. Currently I have outfitted for 3 men uniforms, hand tools, carrying totes ect. Need some thoughts on items that are on the pricier side for a start-up company.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

the only pricy tool I could think of, and really can't say it is a 'absolute' necessity immediately, is a electronic line chaser.

Besides that, maybe a hammer-drill to go through foundations with and a few power tools like a sawzall or drill.

steve
Old 09-09-2002, 03:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Shovels, Hand Tools, General Tools, Hammer Drill, Line Chaser, Trencher, Pick, Drill & Bits, Ladder For Rain Sensor, LOts of other Misc little items.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$350 is not necessary.

1. good, 12 volt minimum cordless drill with 2nd battery and 1 hr charger.

2. turkey baster for sucking dirt out of valves or flushing small dirt.

3. 2 multi compartment, brief case like tote chests with dividers. One for spray nozzles and one for electrically related stuff.

4. Folding, aluminum step ladder/extension ladder combo in a 300 lb version and good for 16 feet extended.

5. "hole shooter" Remington makes 2 "guns" that use a 22 caliber cartridge for driving nails into masonry.

6. Make a fuel spout cover for cans with lost caps by placing a glue cap on a stub of 1" pcv or using a cut off end froma new roll of 1" poly. Make them a few inches shorter than the flex spout. We haven't lost one yet and they are not attached.

Yes we have a BIG Milwaukee rotary hammer drill.

7. Plastic bins of various sizes that will fit in the cabinets of a utility body truck to supplement or replace the metal dividers. Then label the fron tof the bin with contents as well as the truck shelf or cabinet lip as a duplicate. The bins wotk nice becasue you can put dividers in the right ones and put multiple sized, low volume items like 1/2', 3/4" and 1" threaded plugs, couplers etc. in one box.

8. Good flashlight with you name on it.

9. Duct tape makes a good label when written on with fine point permanent marker.

10. permanent markers- good for marking pipe for cuts or writing on pipe for ID reasons and much more. I carry one all the time just like a pen anymore. Put tire pressure on equipment, write oil change on duct tape and stick under a hood, identfy stuff in bags with no labels etc. A very under rated tool.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hand pump for pumping out filled valve boxes

Station Master valve actuator - two nine volt batteries to activate valve. Some older valves take forever to shut down if using the bleeder screw or twisting solenoid

I use a headlamp for my flashlight. This allows me handsfree use when in crawl spaces.

I'll think of more. Never thought of the turkey baster Harold. Think I'll put mine in the truck today and buy a new one before Thanksgiving.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And a defunct 5 gal rectangular gas cans make a good tote with one or both sides cut out.

The hand pump we use is a bnilge pump in the marine world so you can get them from irrigation suppliers or boating supply retailers. Check your prices. Any thing marine is alwasy big dollars but sometimes there are sales.

We also have a "wire toner" which has a transmitter you hook up at one end and a reciever you touch to differnet wires at the other end. Most usefull if system was wired with single conductor wire of the same color or when water and soil acids make multi colored stuff all turn gray.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fox you forgot to mention that progressive 521 tracker, that you were talking about in the last post you made. whats the price 750.00?
Old 09-10-2002, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Aw, the other guys got there first with the "line chaser". I'm old a loosing a step.