Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2009, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What Do Think About Scotts Step 1-4 Program?

Is this a very good system? The stuff seem's expensive. It is just weed & feed, weed control and fert but it's double the price. Are the little tweaks and adjustments between the steps for the changes in the season worth the extra 30 bucks?
Old 04-23-2009, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No. Scott's bought their raw materials when Urea was $900/ton. Their sales are going to be off this year as they try to sell through the expensive stuff. That 120+ year old name is worth a lot.....but it's not worth what it costs.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thank's, so then a similar alternative would just be your average weed & feed for the same 4 app's a year?
Old 04-23-2009, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Scotts stuff just has too much N in it. The straight fert they sell as step 4 is good, just cut the speader setting in half. The problem is with the combo products, like the weed and feed. You have to apply at the recommended rate or you won't get enough AI down... and then it's too much N.

You should not tie your weed controls into your fertilization schedule anyway. Granular weed control is no where near as good as spraying. Plus, that way you can apply for weeds several times, can;t repeat your weed and feed like that.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Step 1, crabgrass preventer, all it's just pendimethilin, which will NOT last all season in most regions. Plus too much N for the spring.

Step 2, needs to go down way before step 1 is 'used up' to kill the broadleaf weeds, but it's also crappy, I just hate "weed and feed" products. It's too hard to get them applied and not get them off target (with the broadcast spreader). Also the grass/weeds have to be wet when it's applied. Also too much N too early in the year. Prepare the tractor and swather to mow with.

I'm not wure what they sell as step 3, some sore of summer fert with insect control I'm sure. And step 4, like whitey said, is probably good. Their homogenous prill is certinaly nice, but so is good quality fertilizer.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

More than I hate the product is the TV commercials with some toolbag talking about dandelions. Like they are hard to kill I have several clients that use the scotts program. I tell them flat out that I am not double cutting unless they pay for it. They all by far are the worst lawns we service. They are all loaded with ground ivy, clover, and very dark green healthy assortments of grassy weeds season to season. Agreed however though that it is not the products fault as it is wrongly bought and applied 9 out of 10 times. I had one of these last week call me to tell me not to mow cause he just put a bunch of stuff down. I had to know so I asked and was told he put down step 1, grub ex, and then sprayed the lawn with the ortho stuff you put on a hose. Wanted to get a "head start". I guarantee he spent over 200 bucks and will have crabgrass, fert burns, clover and dandys, and maybe even a few grubs. I want very much so to support the banning of pesticides like these for homeowner use, but I know that would just make my life much harder and more expensive.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Are'nt there any combo product's with the correct chemical ratio to be reasonably effective and not harmful? Needless to say Im losing confidence in weed and feed. Maybe I'll just do some basic fertalizer for now, what type do you recommend for granular? I need granular for the spreader, I dont have a sprayer. I just want to get my lawn looking nice for the season for overall lawn care advertizement and wont be able to hire anyone.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
More than I hate the product is the TV commercials with some toolbag talking about dandelions. Like they are hard to kill I have several clients that use the scotts program. I tell them flat out that I am not double cutting unless they pay for it. They all by far are the worst lawns we service. They are all loaded with ground ivy, clover, and very dark green healthy assortments of grassy weeds season to season. Agreed however though that it is not the products fault as it is wrongly bought and applied 9 out of 10 times. I had one of these last week call me to tell me not to mow cause he just put a bunch of stuff down. I had to know so I asked and was told he put down step 1, grub ex, and then sprayed the lawn with the ortho stuff you put on a hose. Wanted to get a "head start". I guarantee he spent over 200 bucks and will have crabgrass, fert burns, clover and dandys, and maybe even a few grubs. I want very much so to support the banning of pesticides like these for homeowner use, but I know that would just make my life much harder and more expensive.
I agree the commercials are what gets me. My daddy used scotts and now I own a home and that is all I do for this healthy weed free lawn.I hate there commercials.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Are'nt there any combo product's with the correct chemical ratio to be reasonably effective and not harmful? Needless to say Im losing confidence in weed and feed. Maybe I'll just do some basic fertalizer for now, what type do you recommend for granular? I need granular for the spreader, I dont have a sprayer. I just want to get my lawn looking nice for the season for overall lawn care advertizement and wont be able to hire anyone.
The Sta-Green, now owned by Pennington has a decent fert w/ a crabgrass pre emergent, prodiamine, and it is something like 16-0-2. They should have put a bit more prodiamine in the product, so I would apply this on the heavy side, but with the lower N that should be OK.

Buying a home owner's sprayer and herbicide concentrates like Ortho weed-b-gone is actally way cheaper in the long run, and more effective for weed control. Lowes and HD have inexpensive sprayers that would be fine to use. Don't buy the one that is labeled "Roundup", as it has a large fixed droplet size, not a finer mist delivery that you want for controling weeds in turf.

Use the Scotts 4th step fert at half the rate they suggest. Keep your fertilization program seperate from your weed control.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Scotts is homeowner crap. Overpriced, too much quick release N. If they spent half as much developing a good product as they do on advertising. I also hate the fact that they have everybody hooked on 4 steps. "It's June, time to put down the weed and feed!" Whether you have weeds or not, put it down!! You can buy a professional grade product for about the same price. Homeowners are paying around $30 a bag for dimension with fert at Lesco. Scotts at the Depot is over $50, for a lesser product.