Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-13-2002, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

By the way.... Yes I do scout the lawn for trash before I cut but I missed this little baggie somehow. I just wanted to clarify this before someone jumped on me for not policing the lawn for trash first.

Old 09-13-2002, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I haven't tried this...I have paid some kids to door hang.....pay by the piece and spot check.......I had a friend do the weighted bag thing.....worked real fast he threw them out the window while his wife drove the car....I think they put out a couple of thousand in real short order.....kind of ruined their plan when the cops pulled up and made them pick them all up.......good luck....let us know how it works out for you
Old 09-14-2002, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This all because your not allowed to put things in mail boxes there?
Old 09-14-2002, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes it is Big Jim...I think this stupid law might be rooted in the US Post Office desire to force us to use postage ..be it bulk rate or std mail rate...I pray for the day when these clowns go out of business and we give mail delivery to people who truly know how to run a business...like UPS or FEDEX....just like the airport screeners fiasco...if you want the triple the cost and ineffciency of ANY service....let the govt do it....

yes stuffin those little bags takes way too much time....I;m done with it given the lousy results so far...instead, many upscale neighborhoods have separate newspaper boxes...will try a single sheet flyer with no bag placed into these....

man I hate this part of this business...makes me feel like I'm 10 years old again knocking on doors trying to sell hoagies for my boy scout troop.....sometimes I really think many of us were dropped on our heads as babies....only way to explain why we are in this biz!!! heh heh...
Old 09-14-2002, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thx folks for getting the thread rolling on this...i appreciate all of the advise/criticism..i realize that it is taking some time to stuff them but with this beeing my first year i just had to try it anyway...hopefully i will try the local newspaper in the spring campaign with a flyer inserted...it cost 490 bucks...circulation is about 15-18k...
Old 09-14-2002, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like a better deal anyway.

Old 09-14-2002, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I opted not to go with the newspaper. Although it did have a great circulation per dollar ratio, in my area only 40% of the circulation would be homes (as opposed to condos, appartments, businesses, etc..). This brought the circulation to my target audience down below what is acceptable to me for the cost. I would need to get way above the average percentage of calls per ad or flyer to reach a respectable return on investment.
www.RobsonIndustries.net