Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2009, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
oh dude, we get paid to get the manure!!! paid to compost on site!!! and paid to load said manure, with there equipment!!!! if i have to bring my loader or excavator or tractor it gets billed @ 75$ per hour 4 hour min!!!!! dumpsters cost 275$ to drop and YOU load. over 20 days its another 60$ per 20 days.

tip fees at indian town are 32 $ per ton. yes we have a scale. down south at the other place we are working with its 8$ per yard to drop. the big guys we are setting up do it by the truck load. what part of paid dont you get?????????????

oh and we also get a contract to state that we are exclusive for X time frame
I have been speaking to folks all over about this model but it is hard for most to grasp. Its an idea that people want to do but it puts them outside their comfort zone or something. It makes sense to me, break even or even make a profit at the very thing (compost) that is at the heart of your program that your company really makes a profit at.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would add... it is smart to keep your waste management company (compost supply company) and your fertilizing company separate... then have your supply company charge your lawn company for the material. This will force both companies to be profitable for the right reasons, and ensure that you are charging as you should... otherwise you could end up like subsidized farming... among other reasons.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bill,

I think JD hit it on the head, IT IS running two separate businesses, which may be why some find it hard to get started in both businesses at the same time.