Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2009, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

David, Kansas, Ned, Steve,
Excellent perspectives.
In general, there is a "Pro" customer, and a DIY customer.
And although both sides, (Installers and Retailers), try to attract crossovers, I see a formidable chasm between the two customers.
Perhaps our best Marketing efforts only serve to help them confirm which group they fall into.
There is still a large untapped customer base out there on both sides.
Our industry's job is to "sell the dream", and to quote Alan's earlier comment; Let the rising tide raise all boats".
Gregg, I joined the company in the late 90's, off site, so I'm not the best person to answer the off shore question.
I think the metal fixture that you are referring to is our "work horse" CL507, MR16 flood. It is amazing how many of those we have sold through the years.
I do want to say thanks again for all the well wishes.
By the way; did I mention that we have fixtures for sell?:-).
Tom
Old 04-29-2009, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

How many noticed he did not say he was losing his job but going to be the former product manager? Does this mean you are moving to another section of the company and giving one last effort to get the fixtures out of inventory?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I am losing my job. (That hurt mellow-mower.) ;-)
Old 04-29-2009, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansashoosier View Post
I'm an electrician, so education is something I value greatly in terms of doing a job properly. That being said, Malibu's lack of education to me is no different than a lot of the distributors and manufacturers who sell over the internet to any and all at contractor pricing, both in the low and high voltage world, with little to no concern about who is installing it or how they are installing it, and only to "make a buck". Some of the more respected posters on this sight have been on DIY shows. Who do you think primarily watches those shows? People who want to do it themselves. How much education are they getting across in a 5 minute segment on a home improvement show, but they sure as heck want their name to be seen or heard on that show.
When they see a lighting contractor put a strainer on top of a pole on top of lamp, don't you think that gives them all kinds of unsafe ideas because they saw someone on TV do it. Malibu isn't the only one who put out a low grade product and didn't educate as much as you would like. To overcome that, you have to know how to sell, educate, and install, and if a contractor can't do that, perhaps another line of work is in order.

Hey bud, I wouldn't be knocking Tommy around here. That guy is incredibly innovative in the field of lighting. There is a reason he was asked to be on a major network program like Yard Crashers. You may want to brush up on some of the older threads Tommy wrote about some of the personal mental struggles he had over the very issues you brought up. It is the DIY network which is definitely not what we do, but he is hoping to bring new creative thought to some watching, (more than your typical runway lights and spot lights on trees), even in a small way, anyway he can. Obviously as Tom mentioned, some people are just going to be DIYers. Also, are you honestly going to tell me that you wouldn't go on a national show if you were invited?

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 04-29-2009, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Tom, don't know if you heard, or whether it would be a good fit or even too risky... Loran-Nightscaping might be looking for a new General Manager.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly Prof. Lighting View Post
Hey bud, I wouldn't be knocking Tommy around here. That guy is incredibly innovative in the field of lighting. There is a reason he was asked to be on a major network program like Yard Crashers. You may want to brush up on some of the older threads Tommy wrote about some of the personal mental struggles he had over the very issues you brought up. It is the DIY network which is definitely not what we do, but he is hoping to bring new creative thought to some watching, (more than your typical runway lights and spot lights on trees), even in a small way, anyway he can. Obviously as Tom mentioned, some people are just going to be DIYers. Also, are you honestly going to tell me that you wouldn't go on a national show if you were invited?
Tim,

If you will read that post, I called him one of the more respected posters on here. And no, I wouldn't turn down a national show. But at the same time, contractors as a whole shouldn't be complaining about fixing poorly installed systems when they (we, and not just Tommy, a lot of guys) are showing people how to do different things in a very limited time on a television show, at a trade show booth, an hour seminar, etc. And no, my name isn't bud.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kansashoosier, you have worn out your welcome.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would someone pass me that beer and shot??? Thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

me to please...

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 04-29-2009, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRabic View Post
David, Kansas, Ned, Steve,
Excellent perspectives.
In general, there is a "Pro" customer, and a DIY customer.
And although both sides, (Installers and Retailers), try to attract crossovers, I see a formidable chasm between the two customers.
Perhaps our best Marketing efforts only serve to help them confirm which group they fall into.
There is still a large untapped customer base out there on both sides.
Our industry's job is to "sell the dream", and to quote Alan's earlier comment; Let the rising tide raise all boats".
Gregg, I joined the company in the late 90's, off site, so I'm not the best person to answer the off shore question.
I think the metal fixture that you are referring to is our "work horse" CL507, MR16 flood. It is amazing how many of those we have sold through the years.
I do want to say thanks again for all the well wishes.
By the way; did I mention that we have fixtures for sell?:-).
Tom

Good luck to you, Tom!

I installed a Malibu 300 watt capacity transformer into our own lighting system about 2 1/2 -3 years ago.
It works wonderfully, running five MR-16 35 watt well lights that shine up onto the front of our ranch homes's 7 foot Alberta spruces and cedar siding, plus two 11 watt copper pagotas near our entranceway and garage.
No problems whatsoever.

Tags
design , diy , landscape lighting , low votage , malibu