Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2009, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapro View Post
I think I got you figured out. Everyone in business needs their secret to success. I am just glad your over there so I dont have to try to compete with you. I would love to see some long term effect pictures if you take them.

Good luck with your endevours this year.
I have revealed more of my processes than I am comfortable with, but it helps me learn... and hopefully challenges others to think outside the box.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
I have revealed more of my processes than I am comfortable with, but it helps me learn... and hopefully challenges others to think outside the box.
I wouldn't be all that concerned JD. Your process is nothing more than your standard fert program using organics .... not like it is ground breaking innovation.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

jd, the time and effort is reflected in the bills i leave my customers from a few hours work. plus your just doing apps so we have different goals for the year.$

put down a proper amount to make a difference right off the bat, more time for the post to get settled, customers like immediate results, leaves more time to do other things$ for them

your price might reflect your area's prices but what your doing is giving them more, which is good but.... is this a organic approach your selling or bridge, other.?
how are you handling weeds?

come fall schedule your topdressing in a row, bring on extra labor to knock it out.$$
seeding,aeration, ete

so many projects $$ so little time...
Old 04-29-2009, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You are probably right Kiril... but still... who likes sharing how they do things?

GDRO, Maybe different goals, maybe not. My goal is to provide the customer with an amazing lawn done in a significantly more sustainable and safe way than the normal fert and squirt companies. And do so in a profitable manner. I do not know what your business purpose is. I know that with my current setup I can pull around 25% net profit after all expenses (including this huge amount of labor you suggest I have). Mind sharing your annual net proft?

terrapro,
Here is a pic taken this week of one of my test lawns. I started the program on this lawn last August. I made some program adjustments last fall, but all in all, this is the result I expect to see (or better)...
Attached Images

Last edited by JDUtah; 04-29-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a nice lawn. Do you do the mowing? What is the growing season like there in Utah and what is the temp now?
Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapro View Post
That is a nice lawn. Do you do the mowing? What is the growing season like there in Utah and what is the temp now?
Thanks. I mow this one. Mowing season is usually End of April to beginning of October. Snow plowing in between. Current temp is 55f.. average for this day is 65. Soil temp at 4-6" deep reads 57 degrees right now.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

jd, my mom lawn's nicer then your moms...lol

you still didn't answer my question about weeds? just cause your dusting with a little post and using synthetics at the same dosen't make your program sustainable? or going to get better results with out the proper input from the start, you'll find that out.
no labor?, get back to me on that one down the line when you get more customers.

if you want to get defensive about my questions fine, it's the norm with you. I'm used to it by now. cheery O!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingdeeprootsorganicly View Post
jd, my mom lawn's nicer then your moms...lol

you still didn't answer my question about weeds? just cause your dusting with a little post and using synthetics at the same dosen't make your program sustainable? or going to get better results with out the proper input from the start, you'll find that out.
no labor?, get back to me on that one down the line when you get more customers.

if you want to get defensive about my questions fine, it's the norm with you. I'm used to it by now. cheery O!
lol I am still waiting on your net profit last year my friend. Or you gonna dodge the question like you think your friend Bill does?

The weeds get taken care of just fine.

I guess you didn't notice I said "more sustainable"?

I am sorry you feel to attack that lawn in ignorance... that lawn has had less than 1.5 pounds of synthetic fertilizer on it in the last 17 months... so sorry bro... your idea that I am a chem company that throws in a little OM just went out the window.

The lawn has had 2 mows so far this year... the uneven spots are from two dogs relieving themselves all winter.

I'll let you know how I'm doing in a couple years... I don't understand something... in one thread you tell me to stop trying so hard and just pay some labor... "Many hands make light work" then you come here and compare my processes to yours... I don't understand how you think I can't do it when you have zero idea how i am working it. Just because you have to hire more hands doesn't mean I have to.

I know how much time and work goes into my program.. I know how long it takes to blend certain amounts of post... and I know my numbers to be profitable. You have nothing to do with my business... so why question my efficiency? Just because you are too lazy to figure out how to do things effectively and efficiently doesn't mean it can't be done.. so to that, dear friend, I say you might wanna stop worrying about my business and start worrying about yours. In less tactful words I say.. piss off? (Are you going to make me put you on ignore too?)

Sorry the thread is so off track guys... topdress as often as the lawn needs in order to maintain customer satisfaction. Peace out.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
lol I am still waiting on your net profit last year my friend. Or you gonna dodge the question like you think your friend Bill does?

The weeds get taken care of just fine.

I guess you didn't notice I said "more sustainable"?

I am sorry you feel to attack that lawn in ignorance... that lawn has had less than 1.5 pounds of synthetic fertilizer on it in the last 17 months... so sorry bro... your idea that I am a chem company that throws in a little OM just went out the window.

The lawn has had 2 mows so far this year... the uneven spots are from two dogs relieving themselves all winter.

I'll let you know how I'm doing in a couple years... I don't understand something... in one thread you tell me to stop trying so hard and just pay some labor... "Many hands make light work" then you come here and compare my processes to yours... I don't understand how you think I can't do it when you have zero idea how i am working it. Just because you have to hire more hands doesn't mean I have to.

I know how much time and work goes into my program.. I know how long it takes to blend certain amounts of post... and I know my numbers to be profitable. You have nothing to do with my business... so why question my efficiency? Just because you are too lazy to figure out how to do things effectively and efficiently doesn't mean it can't be done.. so to that, dear friend, I say you might wanna stop worrying about my business and start worrying about yours. In less tactful words I say.. piss off? (Are you going to make me put you on ignore too?)

Sorry the thread is so off track guys... topdress as often as the lawn needs in order to maintain customer satisfaction. Peace out.
JD, will your mix go through a broadcast spreader OK?
Old 04-29-2009, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Organics... Botany... Horticulture... is not a gnosic religion... certain things are reality and others a hyperbole and propaganda.

Get real.