Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2009, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I am not "ok" with any government regulation. How about instead of a ban we educate people on proper use of fertilizers and herbicides. This would be left up to the retailer who chooses to sell product. You want ferts and herbs then pass the free test and buy all you want. Consider it a dumbed down version of the applicators license. This would also keep retailers from pushing products that people do not need. I am for self regulation...we cant go on without rules, but we can self govern.

I must say I agree with you, self awareness and education to the public is alot better than Gov. But if you were down here a couple of years ago, dude the water sucked, dead fish were every where, it smelled just all around and wasnt pretty.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I must say I agree with you, self awareness and education to the public is alot better than Gov. But if you were down here a couple of years ago, dude the water sucked, dead fish were every where, it smelled just all around and wasnt pretty.
Florida water sucks anyway...went to my aunts in Polk and I couldn't even stomach a shower after a day at Disney...I instead chose to drive the 9 hours to my house for a shower in some real water.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 05-01-2009, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

May 29 30lb/m Alfalfa meal and your good for 12 weeks.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
May 29 30lb/m Alfalfa meal and your good for 12 weeks.
My concern would be that Joe Schmoe, in ignorance, would do that but just double the soluble fert right before the ban... which would cause more issues than it fixes IMHO. Only time will tell.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
My concern would be that Joe Schmoe, in ignorance, would do that but just double the soluble fert right before the ban... which would cause more issues than it fixes IMHO. Only time will tell.
I'm sure there will be a lot of that, if the rains don't come until July there is going to be a lot of dead turf around burned out from the excess N

Every fertilizer outlet has to post a thing called "the urban turf fact sheet" it spells out the law and common sense things like, don't leave fertilizer on the driveway or sidewalk, it even tells you how much N you can apply per 1000 per year and on what kind of grass, bermuda vs st augustine
http://www.flaes.org/pdf/Urban_turf_fact_sheet.pdf
Old 05-01-2009, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
compost is exempt and if you do a soil test you can have an exception, next is the fact that most of the time we have all the P you need its just locked away... so get the herd to open it up, now back the the N, well no I am not going there where the heck is Kiril with that N cycle pic again, WTF dont any one get the fact that Wood will feed the N makers, so mulch your lawns with some old mulch, or kill the stupid things and use some natives like Bahia, dont cut them so often or plant some clover?????? or peanuts. and is nitrite in that ban????

thanks to the state for selling my services to the rest of the lemmings
You say compost is exempt in this FL ban. But compost can be cumbersome & extremely time comsuming, depending upon the contractor's equipment & specific job situation.

What about meals? Are they exempt there too?
Meals can be applied relatively quickly, the walks, driveway, etc blown off just like a fert & squirt lawn jockey might do.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Meals can be applied relatively quickly, the walks, driveway, etc blown off just like a fert & squirt lawn jockey might do.
I am applying compost in just that manner. 40 lbs (@40% moist) per 1,000. Then blowing it off the sidewalks.

Last edited by JDUtah; 05-01-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
I am applying compost in just that manner. 40 lbs (@40% moist) per 1,000.
Only 40 pounds per 1000?
What? Do you have some super-secret compost formula?
Are you maybe using compost from out back of the chicken slaughter house?

The going rate around here is approx 3/4 to 1 yard per 1000 sf.

(or...did you mean to type "meals"?)

Last edited by Marcos; 05-01-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nope. It's compost... I blend various meals and/or ferts with it as needed.

Others spray tea... I choose to spread post lightly. Both inoculate the soil with microbes, compost adds more OM and nutrients than the CT IMO...

I wish there was a large scale chicken farm around here!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Also...

If you find a post that has 2-2.5% N by dry weight... at my application rate you are still applying .48 to .6 lbs of Nitrogen... if you do that every month... your soil will have the N it needs. If it needs more, add some steroids (meals etc)

To give a better comparison.. at 7 pure compost apps a year that is 3.36 to 4.2 lbs N. Blend some N every now and then and you are sitting healthy...

Last edited by JDUtah; 05-01-2009 at 11:53 AM.