Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2009, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ants... I hate ants

I just made me a little compost pile in the back yard with some old mulch from last year, that has pretty much broken down by now, rose clippings from this year, and the "dirty" mulch from our flower gardens in the front yard that my wife didn't want to reuse. As I was getting the old mulch bucket I turned over an old wood pile and came up with about 30 rolly pollies, 15 worms and 5 grubs, that I left out to cook in the sun thought I would throw a few extras in for the fun of it.

Took the old mulch from last year in a 40 gal bucket and dumped it out and realized an ant colony had moved in and made it home... the worst part is they are the red ants with black a$$'s that hurt like the dickens when they bite you.

SO, do I leave them be, are they good decomposers? or is there an organic way of getting rid of them so I don't have to mess with them later on... or maybe a non organic way that won't be too harmful for my plants/veggies I may use the compost for later on...

I was also planning on putting a swing near the area for my daughter and don't want to have to worry about her getting bitten... AND the pile is less than 5 feet from the house and don't want the little buggers finding their way inside.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

DE... or maybe sugar?

I vaguely remember someone (I think Tree) suggesting both of those...
Old 05-01-2009, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

actually if they are out of the way and dont bother you then let them stay, ant mound tea was the biggest fungal load i ever seen in my life!!!!!!!! after that yeah lay to waste with the DE and borax or sugar.......
Old 05-01-2009, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
I just made me a little compost pile in the back yard with some old mulch from last year, that has pretty much broken down by now, rose clippings from this year, and the "dirty" mulch from our flower gardens in the front yard that my wife didn't want to reuse. As I was getting the old mulch bucket I turned over an old wood pile and came up with about 30 rolly pollies, 15 worms and 5 grubs, that I left out to cook in the sun thought I would throw a few extras in for the fun of it.

Took the old mulch from last year in a 40 gal bucket and dumped it out and realized an ant colony had moved in and made it home... the worst part is they are the red ants with black a$$'s that hurt like the dickens when they bite you.

SO, do I leave them be, are they good decomposers? or is there an organic way of getting rid of them so I don't have to mess with them later on... or maybe a non organic way that won't be too harmful for my plants/veggies I may use the compost for later on...

I was also planning on putting a swing near the area for my daughter and don't want to have to worry about her getting bitten... AND the pile is less than 5 feet from the house and don't want the little buggers finding their way inside.
Poor some gas on those basstards!! Seriously, how about pyrethrin?

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 05-01-2009, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As I always say use orange oil. Kills 'em good.
I don't believe too much in looking back. If you've done well, you're too inclined to become smug. If you've done poorly, you're inclined to become discouraged. Keep looking ahead - yesterday's done with - think about today and tomorrow. - George S. May