Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2009, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Round and round we go.
About 2 lifetimes ago, I was managing the pesticide and fertilizer division of a decent sized tree care company. We ran 10-12 spray rigs every day doing pesticide control.

At one of the weekly sales meetings the subject was brought up about the poor control we were getting with scale insects. In response I brought up the fact that we were applying broad scale pesticide/fungicide applications to the entire properties in addition to targeted scale applications. We were wiping out the predators along with the pests.

The room was quiet, then we moved on to the next topic.
They saw where the dollars were coming from, end of discussion.

This was 30 years ago. It's a shame there has been so little movement within the "green" industry since then.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-01-2009, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
At one of the weekly sales meetings the subject was brought up about the poor control we were getting with scale insects. In response I brought up the fact that we were applying broad scale pesticide/fungicide applications to the entire properties in addition to targeted scale applications. We were wiping out the predators along with the pests.

The room was quiet, then we moved on to the next topic.
They saw where the dollars were coming from, end of discussion.

This was 30 years ago. It's a shame there has been so little movement within the "green" industry since then.

This speaks volumes to me!! I am VERY green when it comes to PHC. But i have a strong desire to learn. The other natural products that were mentioned here before, how do they NOT effect/kill the predators too?

Thanks for the thoughtful post PH!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
In NJ, it is required to call registered bee keepers before an application of this pesticide is applied within several miles of a hive so bee keepers have the opportunity to keep the bees in.
Do you have a link to this info/law?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For ticks, I'm sorry, but I do not mess around. Use the Tempo. I live in the Lyme Disease capitol of the world. I don't know of anybody who has ever been hospitalised due to pesticide exposure, but I do know LOTs of people who have been from Lyme Disease. One feiend of the family had it before anybody knew what it was. Had it for years, everybody thought she was crazy or on drugs. On a good day she walks with a cane, bad day she she uses her wheel chair, her joints are so bad.

I've used DE. Once. Never again. Wore a dust mask, still coughed for several days after. Customer asked me to never use that stuff again. Blows EVERYWHERE in the slightest breeze. Loaded with micro-syllicates (sp?) which are known carcinogens, so don't tell me it's a safer product. Either for me, the customer, or non-target insects. It will kill a lady bug just as easily as it kills a tick. I try to be as green as I can, but there's a time to use a scalpel, and a time to use a flame thrower. Ticks, you use a flame thrower.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by upidstay View Post
I've used DE. Once. Never again. Wore a dust mask, still coughed for several days after.
Then mix with water and spray.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
For ticks, I'm sorry, but I do not mess around. Use the Tempo. I live in the Lyme Disease capitol of the world. I don't know of anybody who has ever been hospitalised due to pesticide exposure, but I do know LOTs of people who have been from Lyme Disease. One feiend of the family had it before anybody knew what it was. Had it for years, everybody thought she was crazy or on drugs. On a good day she walks with a cane, bad day she she uses her wheel chair, her joints are so bad.

I've used DE. Once. Never again. Wore a dust mask, still coughed for several days after. Customer asked me to never use that stuff again. Blows EVERYWHERE in the slightest breeze. Loaded with micro-syllicates (sp?) which are known carcinogens, so don't tell me it's a safer product. Either for me, the customer, or non-target insects. It will kill a lady bug just as easily as it kills a tick. I try to be as green as I can, but there's a time to use a scalpel, and a time to use a flame thrower. Ticks, you use a flame thrower.
Yes DE kills beneficial's as well. I also agree with you...especially since I found a fat tick on my back the other day latched on (he had been there at least 36 hours)...those basstards have to die...I hate them, this includes fire ants and yellow jackets.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 05-07-2009, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBull View Post
Do you have a link to this info/law?
Try a search for NJ beekeeper pesticide notification.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-07-2009, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Agreed that public safety is a valid reason to use the proper pesticide. But remember these applications are only a part of protecting yourself from tick bites.

The method I prefer is after taking a shower I have my wife thoroughly inspect my entire body. For best results do this every night.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Agreed that public safety is a valid reason to use the proper pesticide. But remember these applications are only a part of protecting yourself from tick bites.

The method I prefer is after taking a shower I have my wife thoroughly inspect my entire body. For best results do this every night.
Have no reason to disagree with this any part of this post.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm all for the daily inspection part. Unfortunately, married with 2 young kids precludes this particular method of Lyme Disease prevention! I would sub-out the work, but that would probably lead to a loss of my current habitat.