Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I have a pretty course screen on the suction side of my pump hose so large solids would not be a problem and the pump can handle the smaller ones but I know for a fact that just about any hose end will plug without some sort of prefilter. I suppose that if I used some sort of mesh or mesh bag and steeped the tea I would eliminate most of the problems associated with clogging.

All of my manure tea testing is non scientific...I will be honest, I have absolutely no idea of what I am doing but I know from pouring this stuff in the soil at the base of the plants I am getting great results so far.
You may want to keep it away from your edibles, especially ones you are going to eat soon. Either that or heat it before spraying on the garden. Use it as a drench on the soil, you should be OK

Lawn and landscape no issues, Ecoli is a miserable thing to suffer through
Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
You may want to keep it away from your edibles, especially ones you are going to eat soon. Either that or heat it before spraying on the garden. Use it as a drench on the soil, you should be OK

Lawn and landscape no issues, Ecoli is a miserable thing to suffer through
I agree Bill. I am not applying to anything that is leafy or is ready to eat. I have only been applying to soil...no foliage applications in other words.

Do you know of any way to measure the NPK content in manure teas, compost teas, compost and raw manure?

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 05-05-2009, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree Bill. I am not applying to anything that is leafy or is ready to eat. I have only been applying to soil...no foliage applications in other words.

Do you know of any way to measure the NPK content in manure teas, compost teas, compost and raw manure?
talk to your local extention agent or university, NPK testing is usually cheap, I know deepgreen who is near you had some compost tested last year when he burned a lawn and found it was 11% N, ask him where he went to have it tested
Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
talk to your local extention agent or university, NPK testing is usually cheap, I know deepgreen who is near you had some compost tested last year when he burned a lawn and found it was 11% N, ask him where he went to have it tested
I was kinda hoping for something that I could use to test at home. I assume the equipment would be cost prohibitive since most people send soil out for testing.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 05-05-2009, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those home test kits are worthless IMO. Too inaccurate to be of any real use. The equipment to get accurate results will be cost prohibitive unless you use the equipment on a regular basis. If all you want is a ballpark + parking lot, then get one of those simple Lamotte testing kits.

http://www.lamotte.com/soil/product_...rf_garden.html
Old 05-05-2009, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Those home test kits are worthless IMO. Too inaccurate to be of any real use. The equipment to get accurate results will be cost prohibitive unless you use the equipment on a regular basis. If all you want is a ballpark + parking lot, then get one of those simple Lamotte testing kits.

http://www.lamotte.com/soil/product_...rf_garden.html
When you say ballpark...50% accurate...90% accurate? More? Less?

Old 05-05-2009, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
When you say ballpark...50% accurate...90% accurate? More? Less?
Here are the ranges .... ballpark + parking lot.

http://www.biconet.com/testing/LaMGarden.html
Old 05-05-2009, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Here are the ranges .... ballpark + parking lot.

http://www.biconet.com/testing/LaMGarden.html
Thanks Kiril...I was wondering the accuracy compared to a professional lab test. The prices on those kits are affordable. I would kinda like to know my NPK content of manure teas, compost teas and soils prior to just dumping out some unknown liquid. I would also like the ability to test my soils prior to application. This testing would be for my own use on my own lawn...right now I am having fun with organics and composting...I'm a greenhorn.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks Kiril...I was wondering the accuracy compared to a professional lab test. The prices on those kits are affordable. I would kinda like to know my NPK content of manure teas, compost teas and soils prior to just dumping out some unknown liquid. I would also like the ability to test my soils prior to application. This testing would be for my own use on my own lawn...right now I am having fun with organics and composting...I'm a greenhorn.

You gotta start somewhere, welcome to the dark green side
Have you had a chance to purchase and read "teaming with microbes" by Jeff Lowenfels, it will get your juices going
Old 05-05-2009, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You gotta start somewhere, welcome to the dark green side
Have you had a chance to purchase and read "teaming with microbes" by Jeff Lowenfels, it will get your juices going
I have not read or even heard of that book, but this stuff is interesting so I will take a look at it.