Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2009, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Member

oranic selective herbicides?

Hello new to the board,Does any one know of a good organic selective herbicide on the market that I can provide for my customers lawns?
Thanks.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is one on the market. Forget the maker, but I think they are or were a sponsor of ths site. I looked into it a year or so ago. Had about a dozen weeds on the label and cost a huge amount of $$$. Not sure if it's still out. Other than that, I'm not aware of any selective post-emergant organics.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-jrock View Post
Hello new to the board,Does any one know of a good organic selective herbicide on the market that I can provide for my customers lawns?
Thanks.
There are a lot of claims out there on products. I find that you either have to visit the site too frequesntly, the product is cost prohibitive or it just doesn't work well. I have not found one yet

Most of them will kill off clover and such, but plaintanes, dandelion, strawberries and such just laugh at it

A thick stand of turf is the best weed preventer in lawns
Old 05-06-2009, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys. Nothing I have seen so far really does anything but kind of piss the weeds off.
A good stand off grass seems to be the best way so far.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I asked this once and got a great answer... I don't remember the exact terminology so the quotations are for effect...

"Yeah! I know of two selective organic weed killers...

your left and right hand. The right is about 99% effective and the left is about 85%."

That's tree for you... LOL!
Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
There are a lot of claims out there on products. I find that you either have to visit the site too frequesntly, the product is cost prohibitive or it just doesn't work well. I have not found one yet

Most of them will kill off clover and such, but plaintanes, dandelion, strawberries and such just laugh at it

A thick stand of turf is the best weed preventer in lawns
The product I used (green guardian) does do well with dandelions, plantains and clover. It's the violets, strawberries and oxalis it has trouble with. Generally speaking, the more surface area of the weed, the better the product does.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
The product I used (green guardian) does do well with dandelions, plantains and clover. It's the violets, strawberries and oxalis it has trouble with. Generally speaking, the more surface area of the weed, the better the product does.
A GOOD start -- if it were true...
Old 05-07-2009, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
A GOOD start -- if it were true...
I'm not on here to lie about products I use, or have used. I posted pics awhile back in some thread. Lawns that have stuck with the GG are pretty weed free except for the violets. I have cleared strawberries out on one property, but that property was re-seeded. The product is too expensive for most, but I have offered a spot treatment with more success.

Also, I think we need to get out of the weed control mindset and start incorporating seeding and emphasizing proper cultural practices. Most of my customers don't mow their own lawns. They pay for the expensive lawn service and the cheap mowers. Go figure.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
Also, I think we need to get out of the weed control mindset and start incorporating seeding and emphasizing proper cultural practices. Most of my customers don't mow their own lawns. They pay for the expensive lawn service and the cheap mowers. Go figure.
Very true, I should have put that in my post...

Proper cultural practices are just as important it would seem as proper nutrient cycling(proper terminology?)
Old 05-07-2009, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Your absolutely right deep green. Proper cultural practices have a huge effect on turf. I know here in the south the practice of scalping the lawn the first mowing in the spring is still prevalent which opens the lawn to a lot of weed pressure from winter and spring annuals. I also see more problems caused in lawns by over fertilizing and over watering than you can imagine. A lot of lco's don't realize there's a difference between a healthy lawn and a green lawn. Pour enough N on a lawn and its going to be greeen but not neccesarily healthy.