Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2009, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Green Guardian product it the one I could not remember. I also recall it being a bit hot, causing some yellowing and burning of the turf. I'll stick to my current plan of using organic ferts and doing minor spot spraying of what few weeds I have with a synthetic pesticide.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasssales2001 View Post
Your absolutely right deep green. Proper cultural practices have a huge effect on turf. I know here in the south the practice of scalping the lawn the first mowing in the spring is still prevalent which opens the lawn to a lot of weed pressure from winter and spring annuals. I also see more problems caused in lawns by over fertilizing and over watering than you can imagine. A lot of lco's don't realize there's a difference between a healthy lawn and a green lawn. Pour enough N on a lawn and its going to be greeen but not neccesarily healthy.
You hit the nail on the head. I would say 90% + of the problems I see with turf are a result of poor cultural practices, poor fertility/soil management, poor irrigation management.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Exactly Kiril! How do we go about educating the general public? I Wish I had $.01 out of every dollar that people wasted on lawn and garden products hoping to have that picture perfect lawn and landscape.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Exactly Kiril! How do we go about educating the general public? I Wish I had $.01 out of every dollar that people wasted on lawn and garden products hoping to have that picture perfect lawn and landscape.
First step is to get people to understand that managing a landscape is not the same as managing crops and sports turf.

Second thing is to show people that more does not equal better.

Third is to emphasize that the most sustainable way to manage a landscape is based on real need, not a perceived one.
People need to understand the general recommendations are exactly that ...... general. Yet how many people blindly follow these recommendations .... I would say most. Find the breaking point of your landscape and maintain it just above that level.

Problem is, many people don't want to listen. They listen to some corp. commercial or their lawn jockey who knows nothing about proper plant, land, and water management. If I had a nickel for every time I have had to set/reset irrigation controllers because of some dumb ass lawn jockey, I could retire.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I know what you mean Kiril! I can't tell you how many times i've heard from a customer "Well my lawn guy said this" or " they said i need to do this". What do you mean reset a sprinkler controller ? LOL You mean that yard want do good on 10 minutes a zone every other day? ( i've heard that so many times when a customer calls and wants to know why there yard is brown in the middle of summer with temps around 100 every day). Unfortunately people tend to believe what they hear repeated most often even if the info is extremely inaccurate.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I know what you mean Kiril! I can't tell you how many times i've heard from a customer "Well my lawn guy said this" or " they said i need to do this". What do you mean reset a sprinkler controller ? LOL You mean that yard want do good on 10 minutes a zone every other day? ( i've heard that so many times when a customer calls and wants to know why there yard is brown in the middle of summer with temps around 100 every day). Unfortunately people tend to believe what they hear repeated most often even if the info is extremely inaccurate.
Every other day .... I wish. Around here, they schedule it for every day. What is even worse, is when a problem like browning does occur, instead of finding and correcting the source of the problem, they just dump more water on it.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a guy that NEVER listens to me but always asks my opinion on everything. He gets all of his stupid info from a "Scott's Pro" that he sees at the local hardware store. He has all these dumb rules about everything that the homeowner blindly follows.

..."oh its time to weed and feed because that is part of a healthy scotts yard program"

His neighbors come to him sometimes and ask for his help on certain yard chores... I usually hear him saying something like "well use this weed be gone max here and the grass should green up here real quick"
Old 05-07-2009, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

TMG- thats the thing about lawn and garden products,people will believe almost anything because they know almost nothing. Fertilizition is one of the most misunderstood areas and companies take advantage of that. I often wonder if people would look in there sheds or garages how much of the same product they have its just sold in a different packages. I wonder if the Scotts Pro sells anything but Scotts products. Weed and feed is the biggest waste of money product there is but people buy it religiously every year.