Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2009, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Die Slugs DIE!!!

I just got done with my first Slug and snail hunt in my front flower beds... WOW! Wasn't expecting that many... I easily drowned about 50 in a cup of soapy water and every time I would revisit a plant I picked clean there were just as many if not more it seemed... then I got rained on.

Any proven suggestions on how to get rid of them? I know salt will do the trick but I don't want to hurt the plants, then DE if I remember correctly will hurt the good guys too... any other ideas? I will be putting out a few beer traps tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a couple products called Sluggo and Escar Go, as well as DE. It's iron phosphate and a bait. There are other brand names out there with the same basic ingredients. They've worked well for me.

DE isn't going to hurt the beneficials you are concerned with in a flower garden, as you might think. Many of your beneficials are flying insects and don't land on areas commonly treated with DE (if you apply it to the soil surface and lower plant parts for slugs). Flying insects will usually land on a leaf, flower, or plant part higher up, but even if that is dusted with it, they have legs and don't get covered all over like a crawling pest would. Pests like moth or sawfly larvae (leaf mining insects), and slugs, are much more vulnerable due to their method of locomoting, as well as their different body structure. A flying insects tougher body structure (exoskeleton) makes the flyer a lesser target.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks 44, I was thinking that might be the case as I was considering it as something to use against jap beetles... same thing came up...
Old 05-05-2009, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Try some of these tricks;
http://www.slugsandsalal.com/nasties/slugctl.html

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-06-2009, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A doctoral student did a study on slug killers, can't remember the university. Beer in a shallow container will work very well. If I recall O'Doul's Amber worked the best. I prefer Sam Adams, myself. A little for the slugs, a little for me, a little for the slugs, a little for me...
Old 05-06-2009, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upidstay View Post
A doctoral student did a study on slug killers, can't remember the university. Beer in a shallow container will work very well. If I recall O'Doul's Amber worked the best. I prefer Sam Adams, myself. A little for the slugs, a little for me, a little for the slugs, a little for me...
Exactly what I was thinking... never like to drink alone...

I got some slugo or something like that, something phyphosphate, who knows, it's organic and less harmful to the kid as far as I can tell. I plan on using the beer method too just for the added benefits... can't be letting the rest of the beer go to waste right?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was actually serious about the O'Doul's Amber rating the highest in the study. Just never can bring myself to buy the stuff. If I'm gonna have the remains of a six pack in my fridge (never thought I'd store pesticides in my home fridge!!) it's gonna be something I want to drink. Maybe I need to research the effects of premium tequila on slug populations...
Old 05-07-2009, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I believe I have solved my problems. Product is Sluggo and it seems to have worked wonders. It supposedly is safe for pets and the environment, is organic, and will naturally break down in the soil. I will get it out and tell you the main ingredient but so far the plants have turned around and I am not seeing any additional damage.

From what I understand it takes away the slug and snail's appetite and they starve to death...