Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2002, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

1962 IH 1600 loadstar

I need some advice about my front axel. Is it difficult to replace kingpin, bushings, bearings and such on these big trucks. Can the parts stillbe found? How much should it cost to have a front end job done on a big old truck? Please and Thank you!
Old 09-18-2002, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Those trucks were very popular and sold in large numbers. Parts are readily avail., (at least around here). I would not be surprised if parts and labor for a complete front end overhaul would run near $1000.00 though.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:31 PM

Those trucks are pretty much built from generic parts. Navistar may not carry parts for one that old but if you can find a truck parts shop they should be able to fix you up. I went completely through a '71 GMC 5500 three years ago and my local truck parts supplier had all the brake parts except one wheel cylinder and they got that in the next day.

It sounds like you might be contemplating doing it yourself and be warned, it can get nasty! There is nothing in there that is lightweight or particularly user friendly. Torches and some heavy duty (and large) wrenches are a necessity. Same goes for some serious jack stands and jacks. There may also be special tools required, first off is a kingpin reamer, although I'm not sure it's required on one this small or not.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not going to try to do the job myself, however I do want an idea of labor and cost before I talk to the local truck mechanic. He has been very open with free advice and helpful so far, but it is time for me to pay the piper. I have never had this type of job done and want to now if it is easier to just replace the axel. Both front wheels have a wooble at 40 plus mph, but everything seems tight in the steering system. When I lift the front end the wheel spinns easily so I do not think it wheel bearings. If I wiggle the wheels I find the slop. So, one more question. Can I drive the truck 50 miles to the local big truck mechanic without doing more damage?