Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-11-2009, 08:59 AM
DeepGreenLawn DeepGreenLawn is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 2,372
Cec

Cation Exchange Capacity, where the nutrients are basically captured and held correct? (a very basic description of course)

What are ways that you can improve the CEC. I know "Compost does a soil good" but what about the compost allows for the more positively charged ions and is there an additive, product, mineral, that will allow more CEC. In making my own compost is there something you can add to improve the CEC or does it just happen on its own?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
SOM has a pH dependent charge.
Charge is generated via ionization.
See Henderson–Hasselbalch equation
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 AM
TMGL&L's Avatar
TMGL&L TMGL&L is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: south central pa
Posts: 243
Add compost. Om adds to the colliodal properties in the soil it also is negatively charged....or something like that. I learned it awhile ago. It went in one ear scientifically and got in my brain as "add compost." Maybe the further broken down the om the better...? Could maybe smaller particles improve this as well..? idk. Thats all I got right now.
__________________
We know more about the movement of celestial bodies
than about the soil underfoot.
-Leonardo da Vinci 16th Century

Last edited by TMGL&L; 05-11-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 AM
ICT Bill ICT Bill is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Howard County MD
Posts: 4,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
Cation Exchange Capacity, where the nutrients are basically captured and held correct? (a very basic description of course)

What are ways that you can improve the CEC. I know "Compost does a soil good" but what about the compost allows for the more positively charged ions and is there an additive, product, mineral, that will allow more CEC. In making my own compost is there something you can add to improve the CEC or does it just happen on its own?
You need to get into your head the definition of "Cation" after that you'll say what Kiril says, you know !!!

By using certain additives in your compost while composting you can select for a type of compost that would work much better in your area or for a certain application. wood compost for instance to get a more fungal mix or less cellulose type addititives for a more bacterial mix, lime in high PH areas, etc
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-11-2009, 08:14 PM
growingdeeprootsorganicly growingdeeprootsorganicly is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: obamaland
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
Cation Exchange Capacity, where the nutrients are basically captured and held correct? (a very basic description of course)

What are ways that you can improve the CEC. I know "Compost does a soil good" but what about the compost allows for the more positively charged ions and is there an additive, product, mineral, that will allow more CEC. In making my own compost is there something you can add to improve the CEC or does it just happen on its own?
deep, just like learning about ferts ete it's a good idea to brush up on ur chemistry.

OM for obvious reasons? and clay are ur best friends concerning CEC
things that have lots of pores/spaces/exchange sites will help attract/retain. char would be some thing you could add to help. but the char can absorb too much depending,best to cure it first with some minerals, like peeing on it would work.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-11-2009, 08:58 PM
dishboy dishboy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: zone 6
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
You need to get into your head the definition of "Cation" after that you'll say what Kiril says, you know !!!

By using certain additives in your compost while composting you can select for a type of compost that would work much better in your area or for a certain application. wood compost for instance to get a more fungal mix or less cellulose type addititives for a more bacterial mix, lime in high PH areas, etc

Would not lime raise the already high PH higher? I would think sulfur would be more useful .
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 PM
ICT Bill ICT Bill is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Howard County MD
Posts: 4,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
Would not lime raise the already high PH higher? I would think sulfur would be more useful .
Meant to say acidic areas, apologies

In the mid atlantic where I am, folks use lime
all hardwood trees

but then we get to the "chase the ph question" I was really trying to point out that you can manipulate the compost and make it what you want
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Page generated in 0.09089 seconds with 9 queries