Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2009, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Five pounds per thousand is only one pound N/thousand. Burning will not be an issue. I would double that this time of year and not worry.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandview View Post
Five pounds per thousand is only one pound N/thousand. Burning will not be an issue. I would double that this time of year and not worry.
Now there is a man made out of money, throw it down.

lets hear the chant
Mo N
Mo N
Mo N

the turf has plenty stored up from fall/winter in the roots, why do you think it grows so well this time of year??? you can barely keep up if you are mowing

Please do not apply N in the spring
Old 05-12-2009, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

OMG...

non native COOL season grasses do well because of favorable temps and abundant moisture.

thin growing turf,disease,weeds taking hold are all reasons to make sure your lawn is fed properly because the alternative more often then not is MORE environmentally harmful curative applications needed to fix issues do to poor turf growth. no spring N at all is bad advice, site specific issue.

use less at any one time, 50%-100% slow release N urea based products.

the AS is very cheap to use but best to go light to prevent surge growth and possible leaching do to excessive rain
Old 05-12-2009, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going to meet with the customer again tonight. I am trying to push the compost at least, the C/T and molasses will just be a bonus.

They are already wanting the ammonium sulfate period so I was just going to apply at half the rrecommended ate. So 2.5lb per K
Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

1#N/m in early season growth is more than I like, but then my situation is "special" (yes, even short bus some of the time). Because I am on site and only have the one site to worry over, I can justify labor expenses (usually all on me and "free") that are hard to do in a commercial business setting. All that being said, I LIKE .25#N/m applied e/o week until the mowing kicks in. On my greens, the app is every week and then back off to e/o week when I get the growth I am looking for. Now, back to the OP, I think I would put the AS on TOP of the compost. Water in well and I don't think you would see burn unless your day temp exceeds the mid 80's. I realize AS has gone up, but @ less than $15/bag, make the customer happy. Can you do the compost and the CT in the same app/trip? If not, why not do the AS as a split app. Half of what you decide to apply on top of the compost, and half before you apply the CT and water in again? A 3/4A yard should be worthy of two trips/apps, and they shouldn't be balking at paying a reasonable price for a split application. Two bags of AS each trip only equates to a material cost just over 50bucks. Do what it takes to get the customer. THEN you can prove what good cultural organics can do. Getting the customer is the first step.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can do the whole thing in one trip. I have a 325gal tank with 5/8 hose dumping almost 6gpm for my C/T molasses rig.

The ammonium sulfate I quoted $161.50 for an application of 5lb per K on 38K of turf. I apply C/T molasses mix for $4 per K so $152. I dont think they have a problem with the price its the performance of organics they worry about.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapro View Post
I can do the whole thing in one trip. I have a 325gal tank with 5/8 hose dumping almost 6gpm for my C/T molasses rig.

The ammonium sulfate I quoted $161.50 for an application of 5lb per K on 38K of turf. I apply C/T molasses mix for $4 per K so $152. I dont think they have a problem with the price its the performance of organics they worry about.
AS is $10/50 lbs here. I would love to make that kinda profit on 38K. Do they like harvesting hay?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapro View Post
I have a customer that insists on an ammonium sulfate app because it was reccomended by the extension office. I am trying to sell her on a compost app to go with it and a C/T and molasses app.

Ive used urea spread lightly under compost with good results but never ammonium sulfate. They reccommended 5lbs per K so I was going to half that to help to keep the fert burn down.

Also should I still be able to apply the C/T and molasses? This wont cause more burn when involving the ammonium sulfate in the mix will it?

It might end up just an ammonium sulfate, C/T, and molasses app. Would this cause any burn?
May I ask a question, I am not familiar wth organics and would like to know if this molasses app you speak of is the same that goes on biscuits and butter, and if it is/aint what does it do for the lawn?
2010 Ferris Evolution 48" cut 20 Hp
Kawasaki Line trimmer
Br600 Backpack Blower
Stihl chain saw
Stihl MM 55 Yard Boss
Misc handtools

Pictures of my trailer here

Pictures of some Landscape and structures I've done
Here
Old 05-13-2009, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Tater View Post
May I ask a question, I am not familiar wth organics and would like to know if this molasses app you speak of is the same that goes on biscuits and butter, and if it is/aint what does it do for the lawn?
There is alot of reading on the subject if you do a search. Yes and no, it is a form of molasses. Well the stuff I use anyway, I use feed grade molasses and I would not want to eat much of it.

Like I said do a search and there is lots of info but the short answer is that it helps feed the biology of the soil.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
AS is $10/50 lbs here. I would love to make that kinda profit on 38K. Do they like harvesting hay?
$10 for 50lbs is a good price, mine is $13-14.

Why can't you make that kind of profit? The local squirt and ferts say an acre is at $160 for fert. My organics work and I am competitive with synthetics.