Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys! I did see that there was only 5lbs diff b/w 32 & 36. I think the 36 it is then! I was a COM guy 13 years ago back in Okla....had Exmark Vikings 36" & 48"....so trust me I know what its like to go back to a 21"....not fun. 21" Honda hydro finally quit so time for the upgrade. thanks again!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Mike at BOP seemed to direct me to the 36 since I didn't have any gates.

Yeah, I must admit I'm a little anxious to see the look on the neighbor's faces. I'm not a show off, but this should be superior to all the neighbor's 21's and big box riders. There's the unspoken best lawn competition in the cul-de-sac. I imagine it will also catch the eye of the commercial lawn service guys, haven't seen any Quick's around here.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesaLawn View Post

Yeah, I must admit I'm a little anxious to see the look on the neighbor's faces. I'm not a show off, but this should be superior to all the neighbor's 21's and big box riders. There's the unspoken best lawn competition in the cul-de-sac. I imagine it will also catch the eye of the commercial lawn service guys, haven't seen any Quick's around here.
I've got that "best lawn" competition going on... I was completely taken back this weekend when my neighbor's new LCO tripple cut and collected on the 3rd cut... I must admit that his lawn looked better then my 2 mulch passes. Made me feel like I should have collected on my 2nd cut. On the other hand, I cut mine 3 days before and he was on like day 8, so his lawn had at least 2/3rd of the blade cut off. That can't be good for long term turf health. We'll see what we look like in the heat of summer... When his LCO comes and takes off 2/3 of the blade on one clip...

With that said, I was again impressed with the cut the Q36 gave me, even in this high growth period. I did have to scrape though as the mulching completely filled the deck. Hoping to get home tonight, sharpen the blades and get out again... with a single cut.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Be_Green View Post
With that said, I was again impressed with the cut the Q36 gave me, even in this high growth period. I did have to scrape though as the mulching completely filled the deck. Hoping to get home tonight, sharpen the blades and get out again... with a single cut.
Do you take the blades off to sharpen them, or leave them on and hit them with an angle grinder? What sort of disk do you use on the grinder.

Nice thing about the current deal is I'm getting an extra set of the high-lift blades. Could either swap between sharpenings, or keep then as a reference.

I've read on here that Fluid Film should help prevent deck build up. Not sure if I can find it locally though.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesaLawn View Post

If you really want to blow your neighbors minds pick up a striper from BOP or build your own like I did. Check out my posts about it. I have some pics of a customers house with some great stripes. The neighbors just stare when they drive by, some have stopped and asked me how I did it, I just give them a card! I wouldn't mulch all the time, If you are going to make two passes anyway discharge first and then go over with the shute blocker on. Also try a set of terminator blades from tracks plus they look like gators but are designed a little different and work MUCH better than the gator blades. They help on build up and disperse clippings better and they are much better with the shute blocker on when mulching leaves. I have mine on right now and I am side discharging until the rain slows down. I mowed last friday and it was REALLY wet and while I had some build up it was at least half what the regular gators or high lifts are!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerndog57 View Post
I am in the same boat....not a commercial guy but tired of taking 2-3 hours to mow yard. Can't decide b/w the 32" or 36". My backyard is a hill but would mow it up/down parallel to hill. Concern is that the single hydro 36" would be more difficult to handle than the 32"? Plus the 36" is 7" shorter so would it pop up as I climb the hill?

I used my neighbors 33" Cub Cadet....10.5hp is not enough and wheels are to narrow - would rut the yard over time. Plus it only goes to 3.5" high.

Can any of you single-hydro owners comment about how the 36" or 32" handles. I realize its going to take some muscle vs. the Dual-hydro...but how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT_Grassman View Post
Hopefully LifeTree will comment since he owns both models !

Was out of town for a few days so I couldn't comment before now !!

Specifically, for mowing a slope like you've indicated, I would get the 36" model, not the 32" ... this is because of the shorter blade length on the 36" machine. Yes, a single hydro machine will take some "muscle" on a hill like that, however, not as much muscle going up and down. You would want a shorter blade on slopes due to the crest at the top and the dip at the bottom of a hill ... to keep scalping to a minimum.
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB

Tags
bop , briggs , kawasaki , quick , quickie