Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2002, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

can a bp blower be over worked?

I was given an echo bp blower a couple months ago. If you read my success thread where I rebuilt it, you know I said the bearings were shot. What would cause them to go? I have no idea how many hours were on it, so could it just be old age? could bouncing around in a trailer cause them to go?? So will running it wide open for a period of time clearing leaves from a yard hurt any thing? Do you have any idea how many hours I should get out of the new bearings? Sorry for all the guestion, and i may be excessively worrying, but I want to make sure I am doing right from the start; bad habbits are hard to break.... Ps. on the bearings, the metal ring between the the inner and outer races that hold the balls in, is what was broken. and some of the balls were mising. if that helps any thing.. Thanks again, snapper
Old 09-22-2002, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

some one must know something?? Let me ask this, what kind of bp blower do you run? And during leaf season, how long do you run it at a time? And finally, do you find you run mostly full throttle, or lower? Thanks again, snapper
Old 09-23-2002, 03:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most likely the bearings just had a lot of hours on them. I read somewhere once that the expected lifespan of commercial 2 stroke equipment is around 400 hours. Blowers are intended to be run wide open, full throttle. I run mine until the job is done or the fuel runs out. I use the Stihl BR400/420 series of blowers.