Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-05-2009, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cleaning up ATF off Pavement

Over the winter I had a sub blow a tranny line in a paved drive. Many quarts pumped onto drive. We immediately came out with speedy dry. Soaked up most reapplied etc. Since then on a wekly basis I have been sweeping an reapplying speedy dry but the ATF continues not only to stain the surface but leaves a grimy film on the surface. Speedy dry will take it away but get a rain or wait a few days and it comes back. What can I do to lessen the stain and stop the seepage on this spot about 2 feet in diameter? Is there a liquid cleaner perhaps? I don't want to have to repave or seal the guys whole drive.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Try Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent (comes in a box) and Wal Mart should have it. Sprinkle a 1/8 inch layer of detegent over the ATF stain. Mist the detergent with water from a pump spray bottle until it becomes a paste. Let it set overnight and come back the next day and hose it off.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Lightbulb

Thread above is a good idea. Anything else we recommend Dawn dish washing soap, a scrub brush & plenty of elbow grease, then rinse. After this long the "stain" will never fully go away and be careful not to scrub too hard. If you start seeing any of the asphalt particles becoming loose that damage is already done and you will just have to stop there.

If you have long-term damage find a contractor with an infrared repair unit. The infrared will "burn off" much of the ATF then they can remove a few shovels of the olf asphalt & replace with new and the structure of the asphalt will be good as new. Much better than "remove & replace" for this type problem.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I had good success with this method.

Once the area is cleaned as best it can be, take regular Portland Cement and sprinkle it over the area. Work it into the area with a broom or brush. Sprinkle a little move over the top and leave it. Im talking a dusting here.

You may have to do this a couple of times. You’d be surprised how well it works.