Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2002, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Knocking noise GDSS/22kohler

While the engine is running there is a heavy knocking sound coming from the base of the engine. Changed oil (Synthetic), filter and spark plugs. When the mower was on jacks the sound seemed to be louder in the clutch area than from the top of frame. Would the clutch and/or pulleys be making this type of noise? I have never heard the noise of a bad bearing in the pulleys/clutch. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Len
Old 09-17-2002, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

First, I would check the connecting rod of the engine. Simply rotate the engine back and forth by hand and feel for a slight knock. There should be no free play. Try this in couple of different crank positions.
You can also buy a cheap pair of mechanics stethoscopes and listen to the metal when running, this will help you pin point the knock.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey Len,

Although I don't see a model number, I'm assuming that your Kohler has hydraulic lifters. Also you didn't mention the viscosity of the oil you used when changing...

However, what you are describing sounds to me like a classic case of severe lifter "pump-up" which is usually due to an incorrect viscosity level, dirty oil (not in this case apparently) and/or a lifter that won't bleed down due to a blockage in the metering valve built into the lifter.

With the climate in our area, using anything but 10-W-30 (synthetic or otherwise) in a Kohler engine is asking for trouble.

Beware that regardless of the cause, if you do in fact have a lifter not bleeding down, it can cause some pretty severe damage if left unchecked. (bent/broken valves, damaged cyl head, etc.)

If you can provide some additional info, I'll be glad to see if I can help.

-DeeCee-
Old 09-18-2002, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

DeeCee,

The engine is the 22cv used on GD Super Surfer. I used Mobil 1 10W 30. The noise is still there. The knock does intensify as the engine's rpms increase. You can hear it with/without blades engaged.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Poplen,

Since you are already using fresh 10W30, the problem is likely to be caused by a lifter not bleeding down.

I work as a technician for a commercial oriented dealership and just recently had to replace the valves and cylinder head on one side due to the same situation.... It blew the keepers off the valve, bent the valve and push rod, while pushing the mounting stud right out of the cylinder head, breaking the valve cover.

Of course, as sdwally mentioned, it could also be caused by a rod knocking as well. In either case, it would probably be best to have it checked out quickly to avoid major problems and possibly a major/expensive repair down the road.

Best of luck!

-DeeCee-
Old 09-18-2002, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, will take into shop this week. Will see what kind of damage is done. What disapoints me is that the engine has just 300 hrs on it (part-timer) and out of warranty. But I guess it's just the cost of doing business. Thanks again.

Len
Old 09-18-2002, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Poplen,

Our SuperSurfer was doing the same thing, checked it and found the 4 bolts mounting it to the frame were loose. Hope it's something as simple as this.
"You'll get MOW for your money & MULCH, MULCH more!"
Old 09-18-2002, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Irose2, Thanks, will check it out in the morning. These are engine bolts?

Len
Old 09-19-2002, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Poplen, there are four bolts that hold the engine on the frame. All four of ours were way loose. We could turn them by hand. Tightened all four bolts, no more knocking noise.
"You'll get MOW for your money & MULCH, MULCH more!"
Old 09-25-2002, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Irose, picked up the mower this morning. The noise was the result of a bad idler pulley (bearings). Total bill $67.00
Was so happy I decided to purchase a Stihl FS250 with dollars anticipated on repair. Thank you all for your input.

Len