Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-24-2002, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Mexican Workforce Questions???

Next year I am wanting to get about six mexicans, or maybe more, depending on how much work I end up picking up. I was just wondering who all has a mexican workforce and what they this about it. Any good suggestions for me on doing this, etc. All of your help is much appreciated.

David A. Parks
Old 09-24-2002, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have 2 full time mexican employees and have employed several others. They are highly motivated and very eager to please the boss. You just make sure you can give them at least 50-60 hours in the spring months or they will leave and go to someone who will. Honestly there isnt a singe bad thing I can say about the ones I have employed..... Just hope you know a little bit of spanish
When I hired my first Mexican employee I knew not a word of spanish and he knew absolutly no english. It made for a interesting first couple of weeks but ya catch on to the basics quick.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

The biggest issue as far as I can tell is legality. If the prospective employee can PROVE he can work legally, you are home free. Get familiar with a form called an "I-9". This proves that you documented that your employee is legal.. you must keep I-9's on file for each employee with supporting documents.

If they are not legal, you are playing cat and mouse with the INS, the IRS and other nasty Government agencies.

Many companies try to run scams to make illegal workers "Independent Contractors". These workers not only usually don't meet the "official" definition of an IC, but the real catch is if you pay them $600 or more in a year you need a 1099 form for each. The 1099 requires a tax id number or social security number from the worker...if they had this they would probably already be ok to hire.

Anyway, I am no expert, but there is a lot to consider and pretty stiff penalties if you are caught doing it wrong.

There are companies that specialize in doing nothing more than taking care of the above for you. The prices I have been quoted for these services are pretty high.

HTH

Bob
Old 09-25-2002, 03:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What you want is seasonal H2B if you can afford it, you are garunteed a set amount of workers for up to 10 months.

Next season I will be doing it also to comploment the guys/and gal I have now.

Better get the ball moving fast you have to mid october if you want them here by spring.

My Mexicano's; well no complaints.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the opinions. Sounds like a go and that I should jump on it ASAP.

David A. Parks
Old 09-25-2002, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Of those that use H2-B... does anyone get non-hispanic labor? If you do, what countries do you hire from? South Africa, Eastern European?

Do H2-B workers have to leave the country for two months? Or just leave after 10 months? I've heard of H1-A workers who go to Canada get their Visa's stamped and then return to the US so they don't have to fly over the pond. Would this work for H2-B?
Old 09-27-2002, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I believe with I-9's you do not want to file them "with supporting documents". They are filed seperately from personnel files, by active and terminated employees. But it's best not to copy the social security card, or drivers license, or whatever, that is used to complete the form. If someone shows you the required id, as listed on the back of the form, and it looks legit to you, fill out the form, and move on.