Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2009, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1787 View Post
cant you get fine for putting them on the mail box?
Yes. The mailbox is goverment property. You are not aloud to place a flyer in or on the mailbox. And the reason I know this is because I did this years back and got a phone call from the local post office explaining this to me. If I didnt stopp I would recieve the fine.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLawn View Post
I think that depends on the ordinances in your particular area, but I am not sure....I just spend the money and send them with postage...People are sure to open a letter with their address on it. You can do the postcard thing as well, and the postage is a lot cheaper...I did that one time and got 13 accounts out of 400 postcards....not a bad percentage......But I targeted the lawns specifically.....Spent some time riding around and writing down addresses of homes that looked in need of lawn care.....then inputed all of the addresses in the computer and printed address labels and put them on a postcard I designed.....It did work.....ET

I do the same thing. I write down all the addresses in the areas I work in or would like to work in. This way I have an idea what I would charge for a certain house in that area. I even quote and "estimated" price on the flyers I send out. If I receive a call for say a $35 est. charge, I explain that is only an estimated charge for there particular area but I will stop by and give a free estimate. I feel if I get the call its my job to sell them on my product, and that is what I am good at.
And for those who feel this is selling the price and not the work you do, fine, let it be that way. I always feel if I get a weekly lawn on a particular street my work that I do will sell to 3 or 4 potential clients on that street.
I have one street that I started out with flyers this way and still send them. From these flyers, referrals, and just talking to neighbors I now have 8 customers and the same street and I love that. 8 lawns, 2 1/2 hours and $240.00 in my pocket everyweek.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I like putting the price on the website and advertising, that's what the customer wants to know, and I don't want to waste time with someone that ultimately, is not willing to pay for service. Quality is not a good selling point...ever hear of an LCO saying "Well, honestly, we do mediocre work" Of course not. Everyone claims to have quality or "be the best". To a random person calling off a flyer, that doesn't carry much weight.

A lot of the time, it's not about price either, it's all about who gets to the potential customer first. That's why I email or quote a price over the phone. No need to play phone tag, then drive out to look at a lawn that I know is $35 a cut before I even get there.

It's all about convenience, that's what almost all your customers are looking for. The ones that care about quality do it themselves.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE View Post
I like putting the price on the website and advertising, that's what the customer wants to know, and I don't want to waste time with someone that ultimately, is not willing to pay for service. Quality is not a good selling point...ever hear of an LCO saying "Well, honestly, we do mediocre work" Of course not. Everyone claims to have quality or "be the best". To a random person calling off a flyer, that doesn't carry much weight.

A lot of the time, it's not about price either, it's all about who gets to the potential customer first. That's why I email or quote a price over the phone. No need to play phone tag, then drive out to look at a lawn that I know is $35 a cut before I even get there.

It's all about convenience, that's what almost all your customers are looking for. The ones that care about quality do it themselves.
Wow nice write up, I completely agree with what your saying. As of now there's about 3 or 4 major businesses in my area, its just an assumption that they do good work, they all advertise saying they are the best however ever one knows they are all similar. People are going to base there decision on who gets to them first and if not that they are basing it on price.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't put the prices on my flyers. Let me know how you do.
1 Cub Cadet 50" Zero Turn
2 STIHL Weed Eaters
1 Echo Blower
2 Rakes/Tarps
Old 05-19-2009, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

That is what I notice here. If I quote a yard, I almost always get the job. I have only been turned down one time in 5 years.
1 Cub Cadet 50" Zero Turn
2 STIHL Weed Eaters
1 Echo Blower
2 Rakes/Tarps
Old 05-24-2009, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Jordan......Just an update on the previous posting.....Here is how it went....As far as the neighborhood I targeted with the "price" attached to the mailing....Received 5 phone calls from the neighborhood....Landed all 5, so that puts me at 6 for the new development at $40 per cut...$400 a month,....I sent about 40 in that particular development....As far as the others (no price attached), landed 6 accounts out of the remaining 360 mailings......So I have gained 11 accounts out of the second mailing of 400. 13 with the first mailing....So in one month - 800 mailings...24 new accounts...I believe that is above what is considered anticipated...These were specifically targeted mailings which I wrote the addresses down and sent them the information.......I will probably do another in about 3 more weeks...Does not hurt to give it a try..

ET