Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker17 View Post
Don't let your employer screw with you like I just got. Get paid fair. make sure your actually being taxed and paid appropriately.
Care to indulge
Old 03-23-2009, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Theres no replacement for displacement
Old 03-23-2009, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

without getting into lavish details....

I am on "probation" for a mortgage. since our industry is seasonal; I'm a contract worker. I need 5 months work history to get a mortgage for a house.

My boss was supposed to be taxing me since feb. 1st since he said he would put me on the books. but apparently he didn't and now I wont qualify for a goddamn mortgage and have lost almost every chance of owning a home since my downpayment willl needed to be spent of rent. and all the "taxes" i paid are lost in the system.

Some things where taxed... somethings were not... he claimed me as a stupid sub-contractor not an employee.

So
Old 04-30-2009, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for such a good thread. Very good information... plus i was LMAO half the time too. Thanks once again..

D.

2000 Ford F150 XLT - The BEAST!
JD - Z-Trak 717 - 48", 19 HP Kawasaki
JD - 48" Power Flow Bagger - Dual bag
TB - 21", 675 Briggs EZ starter, SP FWD
TB - Hand Blower
TB - 4 Cycle Trimmer
Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Sue him! he is lazy and a shitty boss!
Old 05-25-2009, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

My first post. I've just read all 39 pages and learned a lot. Thanks to all that contribute.

I live in the south where it gets very hot and humid (I don't mind the heat. It's the humility that gets to me ) I've just started to learn about lawn care but I already know how to handle the heat.

- Drink water (12 - 16oz)
before you even begin to perspire so that you can 'stay ahead' of dehydration
- Although it looks gay as hell, take a bandana or some other 100% cotton rag, soak it completely in cold water then tie it around your neck. The cold rag will cool the blood running through both Jugular veins. Also, as the water in the rag evaporates it will be cooler than outside temperatures (when liquids evaporate they give off cool air, i.e. rubbing alcohol when applied to the skin cools the skin because the alcohol evaporates quickly, freon evaporates immediately after leaving the can)
- Everybody that has seen the Gatorade commercials knows that during perspiration our bodies lose nutrients such as sodium and potassium. When I used to play soccer in the Georgia heat of August, part of my pregame meal was bananas because of their potassium content. It made a big difference in my stamina during a 90 minute game. I learned that from reading about Kyle Rote Jr. who used to be a professional soccer player in the MSL 30 years ago.
- before NASCAR drivers insert their earplugs, they put them in their mouths to lubricate them with saliva. It's a gross sensation to me that reminds me of old Richard Pryor jokes
Old 06-10-2009, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaLawnCare View Post
It's a gross sensation to me that reminds me of old Richard Pryor jokes
Live on Sunset Strip ! Welcome aboard

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 06-25-2009, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid Rivers View Post
If you are pulling your trailer in the garage for the first time, make sure the gate is going to clear the garage door.

Smile, it could be worse!
LOl, just reading old stuff, and by chance just had to fix my ramp after meeting with the bay door!
Old 06-27-2009, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I just read all 39 pages in 1 setting.... 2 Hrs to do it....

Great Information.

I havent started my Lawn Care Business yet. Going to have some ankle surgery. Got hurt at work and been off for the last 7 months because of it...

Once I am released to go back to work in a few months I am sure I will get fired. Considered a Liability know I assume...

So, had to sit down and think about what I can do after this is all over....

I have 1 acre and I love to be on the rider cutting the grass and straightning things up.

SO what better to get into then what I enjoy doing. No more boss to push me around and no one to answer too but my wife...

Shes actually the one who suggested it. Gotta love her....

I already have a small trailer, rider mower (from Home Depot ) trimmer, gas blower, rakes and such. I will start small.... Purchase bigger and better when I can.

Heres my train of thought:

A) Buy quality equipment with cash if all possible.

B) Never spend more then you make.

C) Work hard, smart and build up a 1 of a kind lawn care business.

D) Go above and beyond even if it means spending 10 more minutes on the same job.

E) Never go below your minumum charge. NEVER.

F) Treat every customer like they are your only one.

G) Be honest, dependable and friendly.

H) Just when you think your quality is #1, take a few minutes and stop by a competitors lawn. You will find things that someone else is doing better.

I) This is the most important one of all........ Always find time in your business to be with your family. Don't let your business run your life. Even if one of your scheduled stops is taking your wife to lunch. Or picking up a toy for your child to surprise them with.

Love your family and when the hard times hit, they will back you up through anything.

I will start my own business, I will be successful. I will be the best I can be.

Sorry for such a long post.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;124085
I had a long list yesterday, but most of it's already here.

1. Make a list of cross reference parts. (bearings, belts, bushings, and pulleys, etc.) In other words, get an aftermarket parts catalog and find out which part numbers are the same as other manufacturers. When your dealer doesn't have the parts in stock, you can go to the other mfg dealer and cross to their part number to get what you need. As someone mentioned, downtime STINKS!

2. Try to buy all your oil, trimmer line, belts, filters, and whatever you know you will need for a year at one time. You can get a better deal in bulk.

3. Pay yourself first. No, I don't mean salary. I mean invest. 10-15% off the top. Don't convince yourself you can't afford to. You can't afford not to. BTW, if you don't have winter income, set up an account for that also.

4. Make sure you communicate with your customers, family, and the people working with you. People generally don't like change, and wives like it least. Let them know what's going on. It's not whether things will go wrong, they will. It's how you handle it when they do.

5. Make time for yourself and your family. I was working 60-80 hours a week. My son wanted to take out the boat, but I never had time. It didn't take many trips to the principal's office for me to get it. Again, you can't afford not to.

6. Appreciate the good years, and prepare for the lean ones. Thank God for all that you have.
Wonderful and detailed info. I absolutely love your quote!