Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 05-15-2009, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

SD shutting down after 15-20 minutes

2008 Fastrak Super Duty with 38.2 hours. Runs strong for the first 15 - 20 minutes then engine stalls. Have to use full choke to get it to start, then work the choke on and off to barely keep it running. Sometimes the fuel filter is empty and sometimes it has plenty of fuel. Don't have a trailer so it's easier for me to do the work when possible. Dealer said to check the valve inside the tank - should hear it rattle and it does. Added some stainless nuts to the end of the tube to help weight it down and it's in the deepest part of the tank. Did the exact same thing to the second tank and both tanks are full. Took the fuel filter off and blew threw it, no problems there. Drained the carb by loosening the screw and blew into the tube from the fuel filter to get everything out. Fuel caps are venting, no visual leaks, doesn't matter which tank is suppling fuel and only after 15 - 20 minutes of use. I'm thinking the fuel pump but dealer said they have never had to replace one and it either works or it doesn't, which I agree with him. Thank you much
Old 05-15-2009, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is a possibility you have debris in the carburetor still, in a jet or a vent passage.
The carburetor would need to be removed and taken apart to make sure.
It could also be your fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carburetor.
These are items that the dealer really needs to look at.

Pj
Old 05-15-2009, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a similar problem. I brought it to my dealer and he checked it out, drained the carbs, and put seafoam in the gas. We now both think that it is the gas thats the problem. The guy i bought it from had it in storage for some time. The bad gas is causing the engine to die after 10 minutes of mowing with it. So right now im running the engine to get the gas out. Im hoping this will solve the problem.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Problem had gotten worse and engine would stall after 1 -2 minutes. Think I had two issues. First, the hose connecting the fuel pump to the cylinder head????? was about half off. As soon as I touched it, it popped off. Not the best of design, as the cylinder portion does not have a lip or barb to help keep the hose on. It is relying on the metal bracket that supports the air canisister and the fuel pump itself to stay in place. Even tried a small hose clamp, it popped right off. I applied a small amount of high temp silicon to the connection, nothing else it looks good. Next, I found no fuel in the fuel filter. Checked this, checked that, found I could not blow into or suck out air/fuel. Turned the fuel-T-valve off, connected the left side tank (as your sitting on the mower) straight to the fuel pump and it ran like a champ for 30 minutes, under load/cutting grass at full throttle. Fuel-T-valve flows fuel freely, no obstructions in the two pieces of hose, so that narrows it down to the fuel filter. Thanks again to mowerconsultant and everyone else that posts here!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

how do you know the fuel caps are venting properly? I suggest you loosen the caps, (not with tanks full), and run machine. see if it still has this problem.
I am amazed at how many machines I see, (of various brands), that have bad fuel cap vents.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I covered the "outside tip" of the fuel cap with my mouth and blew into it. Air easily passed through the vent. Also tried with the caps loose and it would stall just sitting there with blades engaged at 1/2 throttle. Got a new fuel filter from the dealer which is A LOT BIGGER than factory, and have mowed 4 acres so far without any issues!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Forogt, also use fuel stabilzer called "Pri-G". It's a stabilzer, carbon reducer, fuel system cleaner and a few other things. I've had excellant results with it and use it in every gasoline engine I have.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45cal4life View Post
I covered the "outside tip" of the fuel cap with my mouth and blew into it. Air easily passed through the vent. Also tried with the caps loose and it would stall just sitting there with blades engaged at 1/2 throttle. Got a new fuel filter from the dealer which is A LOT BIGGER than factory, and have mowed 4 acres so far without any issues!!!
Excellent!!