Register free!

Old 05-26-2009, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Tree Mounting - Hanger Bolts or Tree Straps?

I have always used Stainless Steel Hanger Bolts to mount my downlights into trees. A few manufacturers offer different versions of EPDM rubber tree straps for mounting. I have always wondered about the convenience and reliability of these strap mounts.

Have any of you used rubber tree strap mounts? If so what is your opinion of them? How does the rubber strap stand up to time, weather and UV Rays?
Do you find these easy to install onto large, old trees?

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm more weary of damaging the cambium layer and choking the tree then I am about putting a couple stainless steel screws in it. A lot of peple kill trees with string, wire, cable, etc., wrapped around it. (I see this a lot, and it's similar to why you shouldn't tie a snug string to your tomato plants when staking.) As the tree grows in diameter, the living cells grow outward just under the bark.

a tree dies when it is "ringed," or girdled, i.e., cut through the cambium layer.

I just googled that to check. The tree kills itself as it tries to grow a new cambium layer, when something like your strap is in the way. I was once told you have to do a service call each year and loosen the strap.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think I used straps once about 8 years ago on some big honeylocusts. I honestly can't remember if I liked them or not but I have always used the stainless hardware since. The straps do seem conveniant and a lot easier to move around if you are unhappy with the initial placement. On large trees with very thick bark I am sure you are not going to do any harm with a small strap, especially if it loosened a bit or adjusted and checked annually. We had an old tree with a tire swing that had rope wrapped several times around the limb of a large oak. We never adjusted that thing and the tree and the limb are still intact today so I wouldn't see where it would damage large trees.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 05-26-2009, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

BK Makes some nice tree straps but i love standoff bolts or hanger bolts like we use on our Strat-Bracket
Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

So far sounds like hanger bolts are ahead by a couple of lengths...

I cannot imagine having to return and service ever single tree mounted downlight on an annual basis! With well over 5000 lights in trees now, that would probably kill me.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 05-26-2009, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have had to "release" straps to remove old fixtures that had rotted the tree behind it. I only use stainless hanger bolts from unique. I wish they were a bit longer for use in pine trees but I never had a problem.

I do use rubber straps for temp mounting. We did a fair sized downlighting job on a wedding and the straps worked really well.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Focus Industries also makes a nice tree strap set up. It has a base with 2 pins that stick off of it. The straps you order per waht length you need and each end of the strap has a hoop that you loop over the pins on the threaded base. Its a good little system if you need a rubber tree strap. The BK version actually uses a nylon strap that resembles a military style belt if you will. It is still the nicer of the 2 IMO.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly Prof. Lighting View Post
We had an old tree with a tire swing that had rope wrapped several times around the limb of a large oak.
That's the limb, not the lifeline.