Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-12-2009, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Need help with pump drive belt replacement on Z150

Hi,

The pump drive belt on our Toro Z150 mower broke. I took off the deck belt, removed the bolt from the clutch strap, and now all I have to do is to unplug the clutch electrical wire from the harness wire before I can put on the replacement belt.

Well, I can't get the darn thing unplugged! Of course it's low clearance, everything is oily/dirty underneath, so it's tough to get a good grip on it, but I've even used pliers and still no cigar. There is no visible/discernible release on that plug from what I can tell, so I'm assuming you just pull the two pieces apart, but all it does is move about an 1/8th of an inch before you feel resistance (you can actually hear the plastic hitting inside), which would suggest that there is a release of sorts. What's the secret?

My only other option (well, aside from cutting the plug and just splicing the wires back together) is to take off the pulleys so I can slip the belt on from the top, but I'm a bit reluctant to do that.

Thx,
Frank
Old 05-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Sponsor

Pump Drive Belt Question

fvoelling -

The plug is a T-type plug.

Our suggestion is to clean the area with compressed air. The T-type plug has a latching plastic tab that has to be lifted up before pulling back from the terminal. This T-type latch prevents it from falling out.

Thanks- The Toro Company
Old 05-15-2009, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Thx for replying! In the end, it came apart after I cut one of the tie-wraps and had more wire to play with. Don't think it had any kind of latch, at least none that I could see. One of the wires on the harness end was exposed by like an inch, but still seems to be attached to the spade connector inside the plug (I just wrapped it with electrical tape).

Put the new belt on, put everything back together and she runs again! Now I have to figure out why the deck belt is vibrating like crazy (even with just the engine running but the mower deck not engaged). Seems like it just needs a bit more tension perhaps, have to check that tomorrow. If the length of the spring checks out ok, I guess it's time for a new belt (still looks pretty good though)?

Frank
Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Sponsor

Belt Vibrating

Frank -

Is the belt slapping in a sense, and is this a vibration you can feel sitting in the seat? Engine harmonics can create some vibration in the mower and the belt vibrates some naturally without there being a problem. If you can feel the vibration in the seat you should have your dealer look it over. One possibility might be that you have a loose clutch.

The Toro Company