Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-23-2009, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is this really all that hard? I mean, just buy a $10 map for a visual reference and put the new lawn in the appropriate slot. I do this stuff in my head. I would presume anybody running a lawn business would at the very least, have some idea of the area in which they work.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE View Post
Is this really all that hard? I mean, just buy a $10 map for a visual reference and put the new lawn in the appropriate slot. I do this stuff in my head. I would presume anybody running a lawn business would at the very least, have some idea of the area in which they work.
when you cut over 200 foreclosed homes all throughout one of the largest counties in the state, it is quite ridiculous to use a paper map when there is far better technology available......
'08 48" ZTR Mustang 22hp Kohler
Shindaiwa T272 Trimmer
Shindaiwa EB8510 Back Pack blower
7 x 12 Haulin Enclosed Trailer
7' Meyers Plow
300lb Buyers Salt Spreader
3000 psi pressure washer

Old 05-27-2009, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG84 View Post
when you cut over 200 foreclosed homes all throughout one of the largest counties in the state, it is quite ridiculous to use a paper map when there is far better technology available......
Well then, why even start this thread, if you know about such technology???

I can understand if you acquired all 200 at once, a program would be great to sort them all out. But to add a few here or there, you should know your service area well enough to not be all confused by this.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
+1

We also cut many forclosed properties and use Microsoft Mappoint to make the routes. You can import excel spreadsheets of properties into the mapping. Then highlight the area you would like to work and make a route out of those in that area. You can then save and or print off this route with strip maps, overview maps, turn by turn directions between stops, ect. Over the course of a year I'm sure it saves us thousands of dollars.

When the ignorant rule, civilization is brought down to their level...
Old 05-30-2009, 04:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Well then, why even start this thread, if you know about such technology???

I can understand if you acquired all 200 at once, a program would be great to sort them all out. But to add a few here or there, you should know your service area well enough to not be all confused by this.
i found out about the technology after searching on my own after not getting much help here...

why the negativity?

and for the record... i will start a thread about anything I want...

go help someone instead of trash talk brother...
Shindaiwa T272 Trimmer
7' Meyers Plow
3000 psi pressure washer

Old 06-01-2009, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
i found out about the technology after searching on my own after not getting much help here...

why the negativity?

and for the record... i will start a thread about anything I want...

go help someone instead of trash talk brother...
Actually, I have "trash-talking privileges" after 5 years and close to 4,000 posts, most of which actually were probably useful to someone

The technology is good, but so many things arise that can make the "most gas efficient" route, not the best route for the day. I've known too many people with poor map-reading skills, and now with GPS, they really have no clue where the hell they are. I'm not knocking the ability to plug in addresses and have a program route them for you, but it is VERY helpful for your drivers to have a good understanding of the local roads...which ones to avoid at certain times, alternate routes, etc.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Actually, I have "trash-talking privileges" after 5 years and close to 4,000 posts, most of which actually were probably useful to someone

The technology is good, but so many things arise that can make the "most gas efficient" route, not the best route for the day. I've known too many people with poor map-reading skills, and now with GPS, they really have no clue where the hell they are. I'm not knocking the ability to plug in addresses and have a program route them for you, but it is VERY helpful for your drivers to have a good understanding of the local roads...which ones to avoid at certain times, alternate routes, etc.
congratulations for posting close to 4k times.

as far as other events arising while driving a given route is concerned, I understand what you mean... to have a general idea of how many miles are being driven, how much gas is being used, and an estimate of how much time on the clock is actually "drive time" can be very useful to ANYONE.

also, having a good understanding of local roads is good, but not crucial in my opinion.

oh, and another thing about microsoft streets and trips is that it auto-updates and takes into consideration any construction within a city.... Pair that up with a good GPS that calculates traffic in "real-time" form and you are GOOD TO GO! hell, does it really matter if you "have no idea where you really are?"... as long as the GPS knows, then my answer would be NO. I would rather have a GPS know where the hell I am then me not knowing where the hell I am without a GPS. Us humans are evolving more and more as each day goes by, and Personal navigation units and mapping software play a huge role in this phenomenon... reading paper maps is a thing of the past and in my opinion has become quite obsolete now that the GPS has become affordable and mainstream..

all in all...

if you fail to plan, plan to fail
Shindaiwa T272 Trimmer
7' Meyers Plow
3000 psi pressure washer