Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-02-2009, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up Father's Day Marketing Ideas

With Father's Day coming up in a couple weeks, I see this as a good time to expand on some marketing.

The first idea I have is to go to very wealthy neighborhoods during the day in the upcoming week or so and knock on doors and hopefully run into the stay at home Mom, (this is why I'm picking very wealthy neighborhoods) introduce myself and make a Father's Day promotion. This offer could give their hard working husbands a break from the yard work (perhaps grass cutting or any other service) as Father's Day is approaching. Could offer a discount if scheduled before Father's Day, a mowing package leading up to Father's Day, and so on. With the vast majority of my clients being middle class (not that there is anything wrong with that) this could expand my clientele into the wealthier neighborhoods.

I was thinking about pitching an idea to my current customers, perhaps refer a Father (from a different, new household) and they would both get a discount, or something along those lines. However, many of my clients are widows and bringing up Father's Day might not be a good subject, also because I did not run a Mother's Day promotion. Any ideas on how to work something out with current customers?

Anyways, let me know what you think. Feel free to share your own ideas as well.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

keep your ideas comming, but with this one,... It has been my experience that with only a few exceptions weathy homeowners don't mow or care for their own properties themselves they pay a service. So more likely than not they already have a service.

Tell your current customers you are looking for more accounts,
Old 06-02-2009, 03:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very true Stillwater. I think I might just experiment with this one just to see how it goes, you never know.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your plan makes some big assumptions. First, the so-called wealthy families have more disposable income that others. They may be further in debt than families living in more modest homes. Second, (as somebody already pointed out) if they pay more most of the work done around their home, they already have a lawn service. You would be soliciting business from another LCO's customer. Third, you assume these kinds of homes have a stay-at-home mom. In my experience, this is not the norm. In my experience, most women in these households are career people and don't fit your category.

... great to have some new marketing ideas. But, I see this one filled with too many bad assumptions about your targeted demographic.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea
but Im with the rest of them your assuming too many things
Id target the areas where you already have customers
Stay at home moms (at least the ones I know) take care of the yard or the kids do
Offering a one shot deal could lead to a reglar gig(Ive picked up a few this way)
Most of the upper class neighborhoods have been covered up with LCOs advertising since March
Old 06-02-2009, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do irrigation only , and this time last yr ran an add that showed a dude relaxing in a hammock. Underneath pic it said " this yr , get him what he has always wanted , an automatic irr system from _________. "
Old 06-02-2009, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all your replies. I am making a lot of assumptions, but I think its worth a shot. Worst case scenario is I knock on some doors, meet some new people and they remember me actually talking to them rather than a doorhanger or something similar and get a business card.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Cuts View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I am making a lot of assumptions, but I think its worth a shot. Worst case scenario is I knock on some doors, meet some new people and they remember me actually talking to them rather than a doorhanger or something similar and get a business card.
yep got that right.......

Tags
father's day , ideas , marketing