Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-01-2009, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's too heavy for the undercarriage. ASV's heaviest machine for that undercarriage is about 6300lbs compared to about 8000lbs for the 257 and 7000lbs for the 247. And people wonder why the CAT machines have shorter track life and higher operating costs than the ASV PT50 and PT60.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

While you will find a lot of 257 haters on Lawnsite I absolutely love mine. Its a seriesII machine and has been run hard for all of its 375 hours and other than using a bit of oil has been completely flawless. While no machine has all the bases covered, IMO the 257 has more pros than cons. The most important thing is that YOU like to run it, buy what you like best.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I was hoping QPS would post. Dedicated CAT guy and had nothing good to say about the 257B. He traded it back and got a 297C. There are better machines out there, but if its the one you want, there are many to choose from.

Unless its free I would run the other way, I bought a NEW 257B and without reliving the nightmare my advice is not to purchase..I traded mine in with 125 hrs for a 297C which is overkill for what I need but has been a dependable machine. 257B2 maybe...257B
Old 06-02-2009, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
While you will find a lot of 257 haters on Lawnsite I absolutely love mine. Its a seriesII machine and has been run hard for all of its 375 hours and other than using a bit of oil has been completely flawless. While no machine has all the bases covered, IMO the 257 has more pros than cons. The most important thing is that YOU like to run it, buy what you like best.

I think your confusing the haters of the older 257B machines, not the 257B2...
Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qps View Post
I think your confusing the haters of the older 257B machines, not the 257B2...
I never owned a 257 A or B1 series so maybe they were a POS but ours has treated us very well and I would buy another in a heartbeat.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
They fit in a good spot with their reach, width and ROC but I think they should have had a heavier undercarriage for the operating weight. Maybe something as big as ASVs PT70. It has much more track on the ground and its still the same width as the 257.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
They fit in a good spot with their reach, width and ROC but I think they should have had a heavier undercarriage for the operating weight. Maybe something as big as ASVs PT70. It has much more track on the ground and its still the same width as the 257.
I completely agree with everything you posted. We did check out a PT 70 when we were looking to purchase, but because we mostly just load tri-axles with ours the radial lift of the ASV was a deal breaker. Size is the most important criteria for us, so although the 257B2 could use some more power and a bigger undercarriage it is the best unit in this ROC category track machine IMO.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
Heavier undercarraige...mine wouldn't turn the one under it in loose dirt...much less mud...maybe I had a lemon...
Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qps View Post
Heavier undercarraige...mine wouldn't turn the one under it in loose dirt...much less mud...maybe I had a lemon...
I think that engine hp and a heavier undercarriage are all the 257 needs to be a good all'round machine. 56 net hp and an operating weight of pretty much 8,000lbs isn't a good combination for me. Hate'em or love'em it must work for others though because they've sold a bunch of them.