Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2009, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Fungicide Recommendations

I've been trying to combat a red thread disease on my lawn, but not having much luck. Fertilized, bagged clippings, etc. I didn't want to use a fungicide, but looks like I may need to. Each day it seems I find a new spot with red thread.

So what type of fungicide would you all recommend? Preferably something I can pick up at Home Depot or Lowes. Also whats the best way to apply it? When it's wet or dry?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Chlorothalonil is the most effective for red thread. Read the labels in homedepot to determine which bags have it and how much to use. Depending on the size of your lawn....it can get expensive. On the label...make sure you use the CURATIVE rate. Using less can be a quick way to urinate money and not cure the ptoblem. Keep in mind..many other fungicides are listed to handle red thread....but they just arent that effective. Wetting the lawn a little bit before spreading can help it stick to leaves up top for a faster reaction.......Having said that..liquid is the prefered method for red thread (contact treatment). So if the areas are small get a little pump sprayer and buy the liquid.

Last edited by mdlwn1; 06-10-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff33 View Post
I've been trying to combat a red thread disease on my lawn, but not having much luck. Fertilized, bagged clippings, etc. I didn't want to use a fungicide, but looks like I may need to. Each day it seems I find a new spot with red thread.

So what type of fungicide would you all recommend? Preferably something I can pick up at Home Depot or Lowes. Also whats the best way to apply it? When it's wet or dry?

Thanks in advance.
What part of the country are you in?
What type of soil do you have? Sandy? Clayey?
Does it tend to hold water & puddle?
What type of turf do you have? Bluegrass? :
How high are you mowing it right now?

Generally, the best answer to red thread infestation is to provide a slow but steady diet of s-l-o-w r-e-l-e-a-s-e nitrogen to essentially 'grow away' the problem.

But oftentimes, with predominately sulfur coated ureas purchased over-the counter at places like HD & Lowes, homeowners and (some) contractors alike will over-do it with the application rate, and fall squarely into the following logic trap...
"If X amount of fert per 1000 sq ft will do what it say on the label, won't X + # of fert per 1000 sq ft be all the more effective on this disease problem (like red thread) ?"

Well, that's a huge leap in logic, no doubt!
Don't fall for that trap!

F.Y.I...
We feed lawns here in S. Ohio everyday with stuff like corn meal, cotton seed meal, alfalfa meal, soybean meal and finished compost.
Our lawns don't have much of a problem with red thread because the N in the meals & the composts releases at a much more CONTROLLED RATE as compared to even the best SCU fert in any box store and / or wholesale store.

This May & June, red thread has been running rampant, especially in under-nourished bluegrass turf, and in predominately bluegrass turf where the homeowners simply refuse to let the clippings fall for whatever reason.
And as long as it keeps raining, a slow but steady supply of N will need to be made available to ward off ..."the 'thread".
Old 06-10-2009, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

-Marcos, we're neighbors!
-My soil is very much clay.
-It does not tend to puddle. My yard has a very gentle slope and drains well.
-My turf is predominately tall fescue
-I am mowing at 3.5".
-Also, I put a new sharpened blade on my mower in late March.

As for fertilizer, I applied Scott's Weed & Feed 4 weeks ago as described on the directions. Normally I mulch, but have been bagging clippings for the last few weeks to prevent the red thread from spreading. Man is that a pain. Unfortunately it's not getting any better.

As for fungicides, I found this stuff:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...217&lpage=none

Not nearly as bad in price as I thought it would be. Any opinions on this product?

Last edited by scruff33; 06-10-2009 at 05:00 PM.