Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Review of my new Kubota ZG227

After researching, thinking, talking, and more thinking about what zero turn to buy for the last month I purchased a Kubota ZG227 last week with 4 hours on it (dealers demo) for $7500. It now has 20 hours on it and this week I have cut in a variety of conditions with it. The mower is equipped with a 27hp Kubota gas engine, with a 54'' deck.

I almost did not buy this machine because I was concerned about the quality of cut. This machine cut awesome and I would compare it to the cut of an Exmark Ultracut deck. The mower cuts fine in wet grass to with less clumping than my Scag with the Velocity Plus deck. My Kubota with the Pro Deck cuts better than my Scag.

I bought the Kubota for a few reasons. The deck is shaft driven with a gearbox, and only has one belt to worry about, and its about and inch wide. I have heard theses belts last over 3000 hours. My mower is also equipped with a wet clutch to enagage the mower instead of an electric clutch. It enages very smoothly. The deck can be lifted using the hydralic lift, which comes in handy when going over curbs, roots, rocks etc. The Kubota is also a very short machine and the bagging unit is partially over the hood. The bagging unit does not require wheights which is a good thing. Less wheight the better.

Kubota also uses dual HST Trans instead of the conventional pump and motor design. (Not sure if there is an advantage or not.) The Kubota is really easy to service with all the filters in reach. Kubota also has greasable spindles (along with many other grease fittings) I would rather have the greasable spindles over the sealed kind like Exmark uses. This way I can make sure their filled with grease.

Also the drivetrain on the diesels and gas 200 series are the same. So if the diesel drivetrain hold up so can the gas. They are built like a tank.

The mower is really comfortable to operate. It has a wide foot panel, with an adjustable seat with arm rests. The steering is responsive and is not sloppy. The operator knows how much fuel is in the mower because there is a fuel gauge. The mower is also extremley quiet.

The only thing that i can find fault with mower is the gas tank size which needs to be bigger. It is only 8 gallons, and can't go 2 full days.

The Kubota has proven to me so far that it is a great machine, and I look forward to the 2000+ hours that I will be spending on this machine, confident that I have made the right choice. After comparing all the mowers, and being partial to Scags, buying the Kubota was right thing to do. I encourage anyone who is looking for a z turn to atleast look at the kubota. Any ?s feel free to ask.

Connecticut Pesticide Supervisor License

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
2011 Ferris DD Comfort Control 52
2009 Kubota ZG227 27 H.P. 54"
2008 48 Scag Belt Driven WB with a 17 kawi
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess no one wants to hear about a Kubota

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 06-11-2009, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We love to hear it. Give us some time. Its always appreciated when someone takes the time to write up an honest review, its like having a friend that owns every machine out there when looking to buy a new mower.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

great job! i dont hear anyone talk about the kubota gas jobs and i am glad to see we finnally have a review! i want to know the fuel economy by the hour if you could? i heard the kubota gas motor is the smoothest vtwin going! is it liquid or air cooled? does it seem to have more than enough power for deep grass while baging ? or wetter grasses. how fost can you take your bagger off? just the blower part, and if you take the bag hanger off how long does it take for that to come off too? i think that the wet clutch it a great idea!! it will last longer than any normal pto. how about the drive shaft is it long or short or lots of ujoints or is it a cv drive shaft style like a front axle in a car??? your mower sounds really well built i was interested in them while i was looking but i never got a chance to see one. let us know all the ins and outs!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I appreciate the review. I like to read good honest reviews about all brands of mowers. Have you checked the amount of fuel usage yet, in gallons per hour. If you can mow 8 hours on 8 gallons of gas, that's 1 gallon per hour which is very good for a 27 HP engine. Do you happen to know how much torque that engine puts out? I read it somewhere and it seemed to be alot for that size gas v twin engine? You know, people talk about the toughness of the build of the Scag Turf Tiger and it is, but I looked at the Kubota ZD326 with the 60" deck, along with the Turf Tiger at the same dealer,at the same time and I thought that the Kubota looked to be heavier built of the two.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfTD_service_CENTER View Post
great job! i dont hear anyone talk about the kubota gas jobs and i am glad to see we finnally have a review! i want to know the fuel economy by the hour if you could? i heard the kubota gas motor is the smoothest vtwin going! is it liquid or air cooled? does it seem to have more than enough power for deep grass while baging ? or wetter grasses. how fost can you take your bagger off? just the blower part, and if you take the bag hanger off how long does it take for that to come off too? i think that the wet clutch it a great idea!! it will last longer than any normal pto. how about the drive shaft is it long or short or lots of ujoints or is it a cv drive shaft style like a front axle in a car??? your mower sounds really well built i was interested in them while i was looking but i never got a chance to see one. let us know all the ins and outs!
I don't Know it by the hour. I mowed 14 lawns yesterday, 12 with the Kubota and burned 5.4 gallons. Its not good on gas. Very smooth and quiet. Puts my Kawi to shame. It is air cooled. I did not buy the bagger yet. I will for fall but the blower comes off like an exmark's does. It is a short drive shaft with grease fittings Any other ?s just ask

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 06-11-2009, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do not know the torque and Kubota's website does not state it either.

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 06-11-2009, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

nice to hear, we hav ethe diesels here, but am very curious aboutr hte gassers. our dealer has told us to stay away from the gas, but never gave reason to why. they are nice machines and i am trying to see what they can do for when we replace our 54 inch machines we have now in a couple of years. thanks
Old 06-11-2009, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see a reason to stay away from gas when the gas have the same drivetrain as the diesels like a stated. Diesel isn't for everybody. I could not get a diesel because of the wheight on it. Instead of mowing grass I would be doing to turf renovations. I mostly deal with half acre lots and the diesel would not be good for that application. Also the 54 inch deck is a good size. 48 and 52 are too close together and 48 54 and 60 are evenly spaced. With a 54 you could fit through a 5 foot gate. A 60 inch could not do that.

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfTD_service_CENTER View Post
I have a zg222 (uses the same bagger), and it takes about 1 min to remove/install the blower. The bag hanger takes about 2 min to remove/install.

The bagger works great, but I have had to replace the plastic impeller a couple of times. When you do get the bagger, clean out the impeller housing often, stuff builds up in it and causes the impeller to wear.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!