Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-08-2002, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Expanding rigs

I would like to here from some of you that run multiple rigs. My partner and I have been in business for 2 years and have a pretty good route. I would like your feed back on the following:

1 rig for cut blow and go
1 rig upscale residential.
1 rig commerical
1 spray truck for fert/weed control

At the present Iím doing all of the above with simply one rig. I feel my partner and I can be more productive by slowly expanding. I understand the expenses will double, but with another rig I could see the potential of income increasing. Is it worth it to run 2 rigs and earn more than one?
Old 10-08-2002, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are slowly but steadily expanding, there will come a time when your one rig will start to be overburdened, that is, not very efficient, because of too many people on the crew, too long of hours, not enough room, etc. Then when you add a rig, for a while the efficiency of both rigs will probably be low as there will not be enough work to keep them busy 100% of the time. You will go from having not enough capacity to having too much. If your growth continues, this process will repeat, but the effect gets less as the number of rigs goes up, because each addinional rig is a smaller % of the total.

I am a big fan of versatility in what you can do with each rig. This helps if your business mix changes, if you have a breakdown, etc.

HTH

Bob
Old 10-09-2002, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would add rigs but split them up by route not type of customer. You will end up wasting time chasing back and forth instead of focusing on areas. They all require the same equipment for the most part unless one or the other has primary size differences.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As you grow you will need to add trucks/rigs. You may not start off with a full compliment right away. Also, you could use a flex truck that moves between crews depending on who is doing what and where labor/mateirals are needed and on what day.

We started our second mowing crew by taking a full size pick up, two extra lawn boys, back pack, edge and line trimmer and sent two guys out for one day a week on smaller houses. Sure they only did 15 places - but the little houses were also slowing down the primary cutting crew. We ultimately expanded the second crew to include a 36" wb and trailer with the other usual equipment.

We often use addtional trucks to the go out and fertilize, aerate, thatch, etc. as needed. This week we have one guy working ahead of the main crew verti-cutting the lawns so when the other guys show up they can begin cleaning up and performing the service visit.

Expand slowly and wisely, and you'll be happy. Expanding gives you more flexibility and more tools in your tool box to use depending on how you have to manage the day, your back log and your crews.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LawnLad

flex truck that moves between crews Sounds like a good idea. I never thought of this. I can see how this would be a be help with several tasks, hedging, trimming, areation, fert. Exellent idea.

Randy Scott,add rigs but split them up by route not type of customer great idea, I can see how this to wouls make sence.

Thanks for your info. At present I normally got so much gear in the bed off the truck and trailer no more room for helpers.