Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2009, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

getting rid of odd bits of rye grass from my lawn

hi all

Im a total newbie to lawn care, up until 3 years ago I had never had a lawn and its took me a few years of learning from my mistakes to have a very nice looking lawn.

My problem is my lawn looks great when i cut it but after a day or 2 I start to get a different type of grass emerging in random parts of my lawn. People are telling me its Rye grass (Its a very thick blade of grass, around 3 or 4mm in thickness and has a very thick stem in some places which I have to pull out). The rest of my lawn is very thin blades of grass and looks great, but this thicker type of grass looks unsightly when it pops out over the rest.

Is there a way of getting rid of this different type of grass that pops up in little spots without digging it out and re-seeding the patches? I use evergreen weed and feed every now and again which is great for the weeds and other bits and bobs that pop up but I dont seem to be able to rid myself of these thicker blades

The only thing I can think of is digging squares out a couple of inches deep, putting new soil down and then re-seeding it but I dont like to do that if I can help it. I dont know if there is a chemical anyone can recommend (which is readily available to purchase in the UK) which will kill off only the thicker blades, can anyone help please?

thanks