Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2009, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1a1984 View Post
Please read the entire post "good used commercail grade mower" USED being the key word. Noone said anything about a NEW mower.

If he looks to buy out off season he can get a deal. Check out the daily paper in the winter time and you will see tons of deals. I would also check with dealership let them know what you are looking for and price you want to spend. Most will give a you a 90day warrenty(on USED EQUIPMENT) if you ask for one, for peice of mind.
So wintertime is a good time to look for a mower, so maybe mow this season with my current mower, then switch over during the winter? Do you think a dealer would actually have a good deal on a used mower? I would think they would be overpriced but I havn't ever looked.

Any tips on what mower to buy (if I buy one)? Scag, Toro, Wright, Exmark, Husqvarna, Great Dane, Hustler, etc. ZTR, Walkbehind/Stand Behind? Heavily used commercial grade, residential grade, etc?
Old 06-19-2009, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

dealers do most of there business in the summer so you have some more wiggly room in the off season with price. Supple and demand. Some dealers get back repo or even sell floor models that are less then a year old. if you stop by a dealership and talk to them, let them know what you are doing let them know your price,and ask for advise.

at 14yr old i would not buy anything new

As for brand name everyone here will tell you something different, it boils down to your prefernce. Different machines have different features. Some machines are easier to use then others. You can ask your dad to try out the machines at the dealer to see what is easist to use. Do some reseach on your own. Most guys here list what type of gear they use. Make a list and narrow you list down based on what you can afford and what is avaible in your area. I would not buy anything off of craiglist or ebay unless you know a mechanic. If you are just doing 5 lawns a week your toro will last you a while. I have had my 21inchToro for over 5 years. Good luck and dont be affaird to do your own research.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

O.k. I'll stick with my toro for a while, but I'll try to look around for dealers that will be able to service a new mower if I decide to get one. Do you guys know if "Tractor Supply" or simmilar farm equipment stores will be able to service mowers, or do they just sell them?

Thanks for all of your help
Old 06-20-2009, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just thinking though, a dealer would be a lot more expensive, should I look and find what mower I want then look for it on craigslist if I decide to get one? Or should I just pay more for a dealer due to their warranty, service, trustability, etc.?
Old 06-20-2009, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you could probably find a good deal on a used 32'' or 36''
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 06-21-2009, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_cut View Post
I was just thinking though, a dealer would be a lot more expensive, should I look and find what mower I want then look for it on craigslist if I decide to get one? Or should I just pay more for a dealer due to their warranty, service, trustability, etc.?
Just because its a dealer does not mean their prices are more. Some dealers even sell some of the same junk you see at Home Depot...the difference is they service it as well.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 06-27-2009, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just found out that my mower is actually ten years old, how long do they usually last? I'll try to check around to see which dealers will service what, and I just found that I might have a possible new customer
Old 07-05-2009, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

since you are still young to handle such growing business, I suggest you use this software in managing it. It is simple and easy to use and helps you keep track of your customers and their record. I think this is very helpful in handling a growing business. http://www.lawnprosoftware.com/

Good luck and more power to your business!
Old 07-05-2009, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a little expensive at $97 dollars.

Anyone else have any other (cheap/free) programs, or should I just work it out on excell, or on paper.
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 07-05-2009, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_cut View Post
... I just asked about insurance to make sure that it's not illegal to mowing 4 or 5 lawns at my age. ...
I don't think it's illegal to be mowing at your age and some carriers would likely give you insurance as long as you can pay the premium ... the issue is really how comfrotable your parents are with letting do this on your own ... because ultimately they will be liable if anything happens from a legal perspective (i.e.-lawsuits, etc.) !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB

Tags
14 year old , mowing grass , scag , starting buisness , teenager