Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-21-2009, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is the minimum you are charging for aeration this year?

I saw ads for core-aeration last year for $60.00-$65.00 any size yard. Last year I charged a minimum of $65.00 for a small yard and price went up with size. Most of my yards are under 1/4 acre.

Even at $65.00 - $75.00, some people growl at the price.

Anyway, I was looking on the Rental Works website for Richmond and the cost to rent an aerator for 4 hours is $86.03 including taxes and insurance. This price is for customer pickup and return of the aerator. The total price if you want Rental Works to deliver and pickup is $161.03.

The point is, I could make more money renting my aerator than taking it to the customers house and doing all the labor. There would also be more money in delivering and picking up aerators. I've even heard of people doing aeration for $40.00 or $50.00.

Shouldn't the minimum for aeration be at least what it would cost to rent an aerator plus labor? It seems that I and maybe others are not charging enough for this service.

I make out pretty good if I have several yards together on the same day, but that doesn't happen all the time.

I think I'll try to go up on price this season. Aeration is too back breaking to do for less than rental rates.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You guys can run your core aerators til hell freezes over for that kind of money.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

My price is price of the lawn cut times 8 or 10 depends on the difficulty (hills, ets.) If property is $40 for cut then aeration will run about $350 to $400 and for $50 $55 you can do my customers and I gonna sell my aerator...
Old 06-21-2009, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreet1984 View Post
My price is price of the lawn cut times 8 or 10 depends on the difficulty (hills, ets.) If property is $40 for cut then aeration will run about $350 to $400 and for $50 $55 you can do my customers and I gonna sell my aerator...
I won't take the aerator off the truck for $50.00 - $55.00, but I've seen classified ads in the paper for these cheap rates. I've been doing really small yards for $65.00 to $75.00 (aeration only...no seeding or fertilizer). I think this is too cheap if it would cost the customer $86.00 to rent their own aerator. That's why I was thinking of going up. I know my market wouldn't pay $350 to $400 for a yard that costs $40.00 to cut.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Before I started aerating I was convinced aeration should be...would be 2.5x times the mowing rate.

Now that reality has sunk in ... it is at the 1.5 times to maybe 2x the mowing rate. Aeration is a good cash flow generator. Generally I prefer dealing with aeration customers vs. mowing because they actually care about their lawn and are not looking for the cheap cut can we go bi-weekly mowing as a necessity.

If I could go aeration only I would ... but I need the consistent cash flow from the mowing season to make the business worth while.

Senske and Truegreen have now dropped aeration prices to a level that makes me question how they can make much money at it with their overhead.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Core?

Sounds like we have another aeravator user on this forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphied View Post
You guys can run your core aerators til hell freezes over for that kind of money.

Most of the area's lawn care companies shutter at innovation and technology...I like it!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Parting thought on this.... if I had to do aeration with the old school beat you up aerators for only 1.5 to 1.8/2x the mow rate I'd quit offering aerations as stand alone service. You are better off leaving this service to your competitors who think this is a gold mine. Then focus on getting more mowing accounts lined up. Even though mowing can be less per hour....the mowing season will bring in more cash flow. Really depends if you are doing this full time or just part time - hired help or solo.

Since I already own a Plugr 850 Hydro that pulls more plugs per square foot than most other machines and is easier to operate unless you have tons of rocks - I will proceed with the service. I'm leaning towards getting a Lawn Solution WB unit for back up since it looks so blasted easy to use.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreet1984 View Post
Does your price also include raking up the plugs and fertilizing the lawn. I know my market wouldn't support 350 to 400 per average size yard. I can understand if the yards are bigger than I would head for those figures. What size are the yards that you're charging for those prices? If you can get it, GREAT! I know my area wouldn't pay those prices.

Stingray
Old 06-22-2009, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

My people would laugh at me if i charged those prices
Old 06-22-2009, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray63 View Post
Does your price also include raking up the plugs and fertilizing the lawn. I know my market wouldn't support 350 to 400 per average size yard. I can understand if the yards are bigger than I would head for those figures. What size are the yards that you're charging for those prices? If you can get it, GREAT! I know my area wouldn't pay those prices.

Stingray
What the hell?!?!?!