Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2009, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What Size/Brand/Type of mower?

I have a 10 year old torro self propelled mulching mower, I am thinking about picking up a few extra lawns this summer, and keeping them as a job through high school (Im going to be a freshman next year). I would much rather be mowing lawns for myself than working in a McDonalds on someone elses schedule. I was wondering what type/brand/size/etc. of mower would be best? I would be using it to mow small/medium lawns. It would need to be able to move around trees easly but still make a big enough cut to get the yard done quick. I was thinking of a walk behind because they are much cheaper, and I could just buy a velke if I needed to go faster or didin't want to walk. I was thinking around the 48 inch size, and remember, I will still have the toro 21 inch (or whatever it is) for the small areas. I was looking at scag because they are usually popular so they are the most avaliable and they are in my price range (used) around $1500-$3000. Here is what I found on my local craigslist for 'scag' http://charlotte.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=scag . See any great deals, Im new to this so I don't really know much about them. Or any other suggestions on brands, sizes, or pretty much anything will be greatly apprecieated.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-28-2009, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
I'd recommend a Wright Stander 36". I know it looks like a lot of money, but they're fast and will earn back the extra cost and more. The model with the spacer height adjustment is about $4,000. You could pay your way thru college with a machine like that.
The 36" looks kind of small, but they're so quick they make up for their size. Throw away the 21" and get a Stihl FS 110R trimmer and a good backpack blower like a Stihl BR600.
It's now closer to $5,000 but spread that equipment cost over the next 5 or 6 years and it looks kind of small, especially compared to the money you'll be able to earn.
Plus it's small light and compact enough you could trailer it with a car and save the expense of owning a truck.
If you were my grandson that's exactly what I'd recommend, but my grandson doesn't show the ambition you do.
If you're looking for financing don't forget dealer financing. They might be able to work something out.
Good luck to you.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This has been great help, but I'm wondering why I should get the 36 in. compared to the 48 in. in the same model. I already have a ryobi weed eater, and a twister (I think) leaf blower which should work for atleast the next year or so. My dad already has a truck so I wouldn't have to worry about that, even though I would probably just be mowing lawns around the neighborhood that I could walk too. But why buy a smaller mower when I could buy a larger one that will go the same speed, and couldn't I just buy a scag or exmark walk behind with a velke and go almost the same speeed? Thanks for all of your help though
Old 06-29-2009, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
It's a fixed deck machine. As opposed to a floating deck. A 48" fixed deck wouldn't give quite the quality of cut needed for the residentials you will be cutting. And the extra width would keep you out of enough places that your trimming time would increase and you wouldn't be any further ahead.
Don't sell the 36" short. With a Kawasaki twin cylinder engine it's a lot of mower.
The stander is a clear advantage over a WB & sulky combination. And I don't even own one myself. But I've watched my competition, and tried them out at the EXPO. Every manufacturer is coming out with a stander. They are THE way to mow.
You may not need a stander the first year. But it's something you can grow into. It could easily earn a mower payment, car payment, provide you with spending cash and even put something back for college.
But what you need a stander for is for the day you clear about $400, and you say "gee; I'd like to do that tomorrow too!"
Sure you could save maybe a thousand bucks, buying a WB. But you'll earn that extra thousand the first summer. Then every summer after that the thousand goes into your pocket.
Go to a dealer. Try one out. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Tags
beginner , exmark , scag , walk behind mower