Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2009, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

All jobs require experience. How to get it?

Hi all, I am new to this site. My question is, all the jobs I find want years of experience. How do I get that experience if no one will give me a chance? I live in the Detroit Metro area and I just cant seem to catch a break.

I understand how having experience can be helpful, but sometimes there are hard working, dependable people that are looking to get into this industry and LCO's are missing out. Have you ever wondered WHY that guy with experience is looking for employment?

Sorry for my rant, but how would I go about getting started in this industry? I understand I would be the bottom guy on the totem pole, but I just want an opportunity.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Eric
Old 06-17-2009, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I think you answered it your self, start off on the bottom show that go got some balls and determination and work your way from there and if that guy wont hire you the guy down the road will. just don't give up and be patience and you'll get what you need then what you want, also if you have no exp trade school might be a good idea to take some classes to get the ropes.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I run a small Company in Maryland we do chemical applications along with full seeding services and I would rather have someone with no exp and train them with the way we do things. Sometimes people with exp learn bad habits from people but if you have no exp then I can train you with you not knowing and bad habits or short cuts. Look at smaller company's local ran. Just make sure you sell yourself.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I think a lot of employers are willing to accept a good attitude, strong work ethic, and willingness to learn in lieu of experience - always have to play that up too. Should also pitch yourself as long-term investment to the company and any smart business should see the value.

I have had to work with newly hired people with "experience" and those without; generally those without relevant experience are easier to work with because they want to learn and are eager to please. Plus, then you can stick them with all the crappy work until they figure it out just how much it sucks!

Best of Luck!

- Dan
Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you Kindarring and Dan85. I think I have been psyching myself out when I read or see "3 yrs experience" or something like that. I am glad to hear that there is a possibility for me.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Keep looking

The number one thing I look for is NO EXPERIENCE.

Im in the blacktop maintenance business.

I look for work ethic, attitude, appearance, and overall character.

If you have those, you will get hired.

Everything else I can teach you.

Someone with experience, in my opinion, is usually a problem. They come in knowing "everything" and its very hard to undo past habits.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
Keep looking

The number one thing I look for is NO EXPERIENCE.

Im in the blacktop maintenance business.

I look for work ethic, attitude, appearance, and overall character.

If you have those, you will get hired.

Everything else I can teach you.

Someone with experience, in my opinion, is usually a problem. They come in knowing "everything" and its very hard to undo past habits.
I agree 100% with this post. I'd just like to add that experience is sometimes a bad habit to break.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

procut is dead on
Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Try applying for a job on a golf course grounds crew; I've done it and I recall most of the new hires had no experience. Don't worry if you don't see any jobs posted; just go on Google Maps, locate all the courses close to you, and spend a day driving around to each one until you get hired. Find the grounds building, introduce yourself to the superintendent, and tell him you're looking for a job. It's the middle of the summer right now, but if you visit a bunch of courses you'll find one where someone just quit or got fired. In another month or so all the college kids will quit because the school year will start, and courses that lost a lot of college kids will be looking to take on a few guys until October or so.