Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
That's true, you could be mowing on wet soil and cause compaction, you could drive a bulldozer across it, you could even have king kong walk across your yard
Or you could have some nitwit driving a (as advertised) 2-ton asphalt roller over your lawn to get rid of a few worm mounds. It hurts just to think about it.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Bill. Did you calcitic lime.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
That's what I meant but not what I said. Dolomitic lime has Mg in it calicitic does not
Thanks for the correction
Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would venture a guess that the cure to compacted soil is the addition of organic matter (& worms?) and organic matter invariably comprises humus. I don't know that compaction could be cured by minor humic acid applications but I'm sure it has benefits.

There is a school that considers humus a covalent bonded material and this is likely where the 'biomolecule' language comes from.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post

I am glad someone caught ICT's comments about the Dolomite, I knew it had to be a typo, but some might not.. Dolomite can not be used to lower Magnesium levels since it also contains Magnesium. On the other hand Calcitic lime contains no magnesium and can be used to raise the base saturation of calcium and lower the base saturation of magnesium.

Sulfur can also be used to drive down the magnesium saturation. It takes ruffly 3lbs of sulfur to drive off one lb of magnesium. If Ph levels are already high, Gypsum, instead of calcitic lime, can also be used to lower magnesium levels as it contains calcium as well as sulfur. Depending on Calcium saturation levels, it might take a mixture of calcitic lime and gypsum to get the desired results. Whereas the calcium lime will lower Mg saturation levels on a lb for lb basis, it is best to raise calcium levels using calcitic lime first before adding any gypsum.

On the subject of ratios, these numbers are only relevant if you have adequate amounts of each nutrient. 8lbs of calcium and 1 lb of magnesium will give you a ratio of 8:1, but it wont give you an adequate amount of either nutrient to grow a crop.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How much Magnesium can be removed by bagged clippings?
Does anyone have a site that shows the makeup of a grass blade?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilson View Post
There is a school that considers humus a covalent bonded material and this is likely where the 'biomolecule' language comes from.
By humus you mean humic acids, fulvic acids, and humin? These comprise what can be considered the "classical definition" of humic substances based on solubility properties. I think you give the author of the statement far too much credit. He/she states humus (all inclusive) is a biomolecule, then mentions humic acid (a component of humus).

I will also point out these substances are more likely to form intermolecular bonds with each other rather than intramolecular bonds based on the research I have reviewed.

If there is a school of thought that demonstrates these substances can and do combine covalently (i.e. intramolecular bonds), beyond what has been suggested in limited research via inner-sphere complexes with some metal cations (Ca^2+), I would be most interested in seeing it.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Why do I feel like you guys are from that show Weird Science.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
Why do I feel like you guys are from that show Weird Science.
Yeh. I didn't get along well with even low-level chemistry in school.
So the direction of this thread makes my head spin.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kiril

You are perhaps correct concerning my generosity of credit;

I posted the article previously in Humus Debate Reborn thread and can't repost it and the search function is too much for me to wrestle with now so if you can't find it email me and I'll send it to you.