Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2009, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Member

sounds like this scag hasnt been taken care of, who in the world leaves a mower lay around without cleaning the deck for a year? i wouldnt trust it, id look the other way my friend! and the min deck size your going to want is 52", we use 61" . your going to want a rider as well. something you can add attachments to in the future!

id just hold off untill your 16 and can transport everything, then you'll have a nice bit of money saved up to buy everything outright.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He actually sounds like a real nice and honest guy, just like topsites said. I know it has been sitting for a long time, but thats not really any wear on the engine, he even told us he would find somone to do a free tuneup to make sure it would run fine. I think I might go check it out today, I'll tell you how it looks though.

Am I right that leaving it in the garage with grass on it wouldn't hurt much?

If it's not worth $2800 what should I offer? $2500?

In reply to scooterdayton: I actually have a lot of money saved up (from mowing since I was 9) I spent almost NONE of it, but over half was in stock, so you know how that went . I don't want to buy a ztr, because it is over twice the amount, and I don't need it for mowing 5-6 lawns a week right now.

Thanks for the imput gus
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 07-03-2009, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to look at it today, and decided to bite the bullet, put a down payment of 100 dollars. We bought if for 2500, instead of 2800, so I think it was a good deal. The guy was really nice, he showd me how everything worked, let me drive/operate it, let me start it, etc. It only hade a few scratches on the front, and looks nice.

He also offerd his 6x12 or 8x12 trailer w/e it was for 700 dollars, it sounds like a gerat deal, it even comes with a trimmer rack. Were thinking about offering 700 and asking him to deliver the mower and the trailer to our house, what do you think?
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 07-04-2009, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Somebody? Anyone?

Old 07-04-2009, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

PRICE TRAILERS AT HOME DEPOT and see if its a good deal.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are Home Depot trailes really good quality? At lowes there was a 4x6 I think for $650 It was no where near the quality of this trailer though. We would also use it for other things, like hauling construction equipment/supplies if we decide to buy some land up in the mtns.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, didnt that give you an idea of whether his trailer was worth $700? People on here cant answer questions like that without seeing it.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

True, guess you guys do need to see it and all. Thanks anyway though

Old 07-04-2009, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I believe a 6.5x12 around here was like $1100 at the cheapest, without a rack, but has a 4 ft gate. I am assuming that this one has a drop gate for the mower. I think thats a good idea to offer $700 and have him deliver, but if he won't deliver, do it anyway. If the deck is in good shape and little to no rust on the frame, that sounds like a good deal on a trailer.

That mower should last you a good long time, so take good care of it, make sure you learn how to maintain it and operate it well. Hydros can be hard to learn at first, especially for a 14 y/o, so take it nice and easy.

Good Luck
'06 Exmark TT 60" Kohler 20hp
'06 Exmark TT 60" Kawasaki 22hp
'04 Ferris 52" Kawasaki 23 hp w/ Trac Vac
'98 Exmark Metro 36" Kawasaki 14 hp
Toro 21" Proline Mowers
Kawasaki Trimmers
Redmax Blowers
Shindaiwa LE261 Edger
Stihl KM110 Powerhead with attachments
Kawasaki Hedge Trimmer
Old 07-07-2009, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I don't know if we should ask him to deliver, he is watching 2 kids, 3 and 11, and is expecting a baby and day this week. He said he coul deliver in the afternooon/night, but we might want to go get it for him.

Yeah, The hydro might be hard to get use to, so I'll mow my yard to practice on, and my grandparents have a huge open area that I might be able to practice on, if we do get the trailer, we can take it there.

The problem with the trailer is that It has no plates, i guess it's allowed in SC, but in NC it's illegal, so we'll have to take the risk of driving home w/o plates.

Thanks for the replys guys, I'll get some pictures when I get it home.

Tags
craigslist , pre owned , scag