Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-20-2002, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

can I load a small skid steer in my enclosed trailer and not break the door hinges?

I need to rent a very small skid steer. Cant have it delivered so I have to pick it up. I think the model is an 847??? its very small...the smallest skid Ive ever seen( i know very little about these things)...its perfect for moving stone because the bucket is so small...anyway when i asked the unted rental guy how much it weighed he said....3000lbs!!!!! yikes...so I call my Southwest trailer local dealer and he says I should be ok with the ramp door hinges but make sure the door if perfectly flush and flat on the ground when loading it......I'm still a little concerned and would like some opinons from you guys who have loaded something similar....I do have flush mounts in the floor to strap it down.thanks guys
Old 10-20-2002, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would advise against it. Get some heavy planks that are longer then the ramp so that they sit above it and load it on them. Safer bet IMO.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I would spend a few extra bucks and rent a trailer. Most of the places that rent equipment like that rent a trailer out as well. How much an hour is the rental? Around here it is 40.00 per hour.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

the skid steer is 145 a day...like i said its a real small unit...I'm a little miffed that I cant drive this thing into the enclosed...well if I cant I cant...hope to get a few other opinions....but so far based on what you are saying I wont do it...
Old 10-20-2002, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't risk it.

Me personally, unles the trailer manufacturer says somewhere in writing that you can bring equipment up to x amount of lbs. up the ramp. If you had something in writing, at least you can get it fixed without a bill.

If not, I wouldn't risk it. Like someone said earlier.....rent a trailer, or maybe borrow a equipment trailer from someone else.

Sorry!
Old 10-20-2002, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

unless you have an enclosed car hauler (re-enforced ramp door) i wouldn't chance it!!

most enclosed trailer ramp doors are only built for 1800lbs, and thats rolling weight.

you would probably buckle the ramp door, or at least tweak it.....

rent a trailer, or hire a roll-back wrecker to deliver it, and absorb it into the estimate.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The flush mounts in the floor probably aren't strong enough for the chains and binders you need to secure the skidsteer.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Worse Case/best case

Best case is that you do put it on with no problems.

Worse case is that you totally screw up your trailer doors... which would now not close or hinge properly and now you are crap out of luck... I wouldn't chance it at all unless you know for 100% certain that it can hold...

I don't know what kind of job you are doing, but I'd bet that if you tweak up your doors, almost all of the sheer profit from the entire job could wind up going back into labor to get your doors fixed. <G>............. Not worth it...

Good luck,
Gary