Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Sponsor

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsturf View Post
We are having not stop problems with the throttle cable on one of our units. They have fixed the pulley covers with the new hardware. We are still having the same issues with the parking brakes!! I wish they had demo'd this more without having us doing it for them. Let a LCO use one for 2-3 mo's and then get some real feed-back. All-in-all still a great mower just aggrevated these problems are still occuring!! BTW we decided to take off the muffler guard on the one that was having the throttle cable issue, we felt the heat was being held in around the cable causing the failure. 2 cables so far and needing a 3rd. Around 100hrs on both mowers.
Robertsturf -

Please contact a Toro dealer and have him replace the current nut on the parking brake with a 32128-21. This should solve the parking brake problem.

While we understand your motivation for removing the muffler guard, we do not think the presence of the muffler guard is the source of the throttle cable problems you are experiencing. As you suggest, we actually did run several machines with landscape contractors for an extended period of time prior to going into production. These machines contained the same muffler guard that you find on the production machines, and the contractors that ran the prototype units did not experience problems with the throttle control. We cannot say with certainty what is causing your issues, but we have received similar reports from other customers. We are investigating whether it is variability in the resistance on this throttle control plate that is causing some customers to experience the issue, while others are not. Kawasaki has a spring on the back side of the throttle plate to prevent the engine from backing off from full throttle. The spring goes "over center" at about 80% of throttle travel. If the throttle control is moved to the fast position very slowly, the spring tension has the potential of not allowing the throttle to be moved fully. The problem can generally be overcome by moving the throttle control in a brisk, steady motion to push through the resistance.

The Toro Company
Old 06-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Sponsor

New Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilweeds View Post
Well I must commend Toro again. This past Saturday I picked up my second Grandstand. They made a few improvements for the later serial number units. Fixing all the hardware issues and a few things I didn't expect! The plastic belt covers are stout and will not go anywhere. The longer brake handle is nice. The only thing I noticed that maybe should be fitted to all models is the hose guards on the frame to keep the Hydro hoses from rubbing the lift arms.

Toro is there a way to fit the new covers to the old units. The knobs keep the metal ones on, but the rattle alot and don't stay centered.

PS Pics will follow soon I promise.
Rich

Hi Rich,

Glad to hear you approve of the updates. Putting the new belt covers on older machines requires some grinding and drilling 12 new mounting holes. It can certainly be done, but the decks are made of 7-gauge high strength steel so it will take a lot of elbow grease, a few drill bits and patience. If youíre still interested we can get engineering to put together some directions. Let us know what you think.

The Toro Company
Old 07-05-2009, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I have tried all the above mententioned "fixes" for the too small throttle cable and now both of them need to be replaced again. The 3rd for one of the units and the 2nd for the other. I want this FIXED! I am tired of taking the mowers to the dealer every week and having them band-aid fix them. WE spent $15K on these mowers and I am feeling like we are being used as Guinea Pigs. You can spin it any way you want but these 2 machines are lemons in reguards to the throttle cables. I don't want to wait another 2-3 months for the right cable to be manufactured. These machines don't even have 100 hrs on them each and we have yet to solve this problem. I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating this is. I cannot send them out with the workers unless you leave them at full throttle all the time. The mowers are backfiring when you shut them down at full throttle so I can only imagine at some point it will be doing some kind of damage to the engines. VERY FRUSTRATED!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Backfiring won't hurt the motor, now the muffler maybe, but not the motor. I can't believe you've replaced many cable, both of my units work fine in that aspect. I will say if you slowly move the cable to full throttle it doesn't go, but as long as you move the lever fairly fast it works as it's supposed to.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have tried moving them a varying speeds with the same results. When the units get hot it doesn't matter. I even put some heat shielding material over the cables on one unit to see if that helps.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Member

My rubber grommets are already gone and machine has about 125 hrs on it, belt guards are a little cheap, I think, with regards to the latching system, should have been studs and knobs. My machine is slower than what Toro advertises, especially in reverse.
Have had my share of little problems with my Grandstand.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So far no phone calls from TORO!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I have time I will post the TSB to fix the reverse issue. If not your dealer can print them out, or better yet make them do it.

There is also on for the belt guards to replace the rubber latch with a wing nut.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BTW I found out that Toro is on vacation until Aug 3rd. Kind of odd way to run a business, no one returning phone calls for that long!!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

theres no way the customer support people are on vaca...youre just refering to the guy here. You can still call toro direct for problems. Or your dealer.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com