Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2009, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Need help in East Tennessee

Hi all, I am new to the forums. I just moved to the West Knoxville, TN area (Lenoir City). We bought a new home, and the builder just put a quick yard in with builder grade seed mat. I have a TON of clover, and the grass is fairly sparse. My yard is very sunny, with little shade. Finally, my soil is just the typical red clay type soil for this area. Nothing has been done to prep it.

My question is, where do I start? Do I need to get a soil test done, if so, where do I go?

Second, what type of grass works best in this area?

How do I KILL THE CLOVER? I did put down Vigoro weed & feed this weekend, but its too early to see if it helped.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Eric.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaiss View Post
Hi all, I am new to the forums. I just moved to the West Knoxville, TN area (Lenoir City). We bought a new home, and the builder just put a quick yard in with builder grade seed mat. I have a TON of clover, and the grass is fairly sparse. My yard is very sunny, with little shade. Finally, my soil is just the typical red clay type soil for this area. Nothing has been done to prep it.

My question is, where do I start? Do I need to get a soil test done, if so, where do I go?

Second, what type of grass works best in this area?

How do I KILL THE CLOVER? I did put down Vigoro weed & feed this weekend, but its too early to see if it helped.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Eric.
Eric:
Do nothing right now. If that yard is green, let the clover grow and wait till the fall to reseed. You might fertilize the lawn right now with some slow released nitrogen and potassium. Go to Lesco and ask for something like 2:1 50% slow released Nitrogen to Potassium mix. Get a soil test from UT through the local extension agent (See Phone Book).
I'm down there regularly from Kingsport to see my daughter and will be glad to run out to Lenoir and take a look at you lawn this fall. Your grass mix for this area would be a fine fescue and creeping red fescue. I'd stay away from the Tall frescue 31. Again Lesco has some good mixes--just ask them and get their advise and research their advise here and broader. From where did you move? Is your lawn irrigated? Water will be a key to having a great lawn; without it there isn't much that is going to work.
Roy
Old 07-13-2009, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

TN Lawn

Thank you Roy.

I moved from Detroit, MI. I am used to a sodded Kentucky Bluegrass lawn, so this is a bit of a change.

Yes, my lawn is irrigated. I'm not sure what type of grass it is today. But it is 30% clover I'm guessing.

I will investigate the UT soil testing. I will also check out Lesco.

Let me know when you are in the area, I would be glad to have you stop by. Just e-mail me at ehaiss@att.net.

Thank you,
Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

John Goddard is Loudon County's AG extension. He is the one to pick up the soil test kit from. Welcome to Tennessee!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

How do I reach John?

Mownlow, how do I reach John Goddard?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaiss View Post
Mownlow, how do I reach John Goddard?
E:
look in the phone book under County government. The County Extension should have a phone number there. Here it is:
Loudon County (865) 458-5612 or jgoddar1@tennessee.edu
John will give you instructions for your soil test. But do get enough samples--one about every 50' in a checkerboard fashion, dig down about 4-5", use rubber gloves, collect in clean bucket, mix them well. Take at least a quart of soil to the office. Specify for what grass you will be testing. Ask for Bluegrass and Fescue. They will give you up to four suggestions for your soil.
Roy