Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2009, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Kubota GT1860, Should I buy

The asking price is $4000. Is this a good deal?

I am not a professional, but have come to this site before when I was thinking about buying something. Let me tell you all. You have saved me money and marriage with your opinions. So here I am again....

I own about an acre and a third in the country in central FL. It's not a manicured lawn, but not brush either. I was looking for a sub compact tractor, but the new ones are way too much money, and used concerns me (I have enough projects) unless a classic. To be realistic, I think a tractor may be overkill. I guess it’s just a guy thing.

I mostly mow, pull a cart, would like to drag a disk, maybe a roller, and a tiller for a garden. A FEL would be nice, but again this is overkill for my real needs. I do have a road that can use grading from time to time, but not my primary concern. ZTR’s are nice, but I still like to feel like I am on a tractor vs. a mower.

I came upon a one owner Kubota GT 1860 with a 54" deck. Not 4wd, but does have hydrostat transmission and electric power steering. Comes with an extra set of blades. It has 140 hrs, always kept in a garage, over maintained and has all the manuals. The owner was introduced to me by the local Kubota dealer that is trying to sell the owner a tractor/backhoe. I was skeptical about the hours for this age, but the story seems to check out.

Is this a unit that I should consider? I have been reading some older reviews about this model, and they are mixed. Seems this unit is prone to have electrical problems. The current owner says he has had no problems, but with the hours they may have just not started to show up. All the positive reviews were from new or low hour users.

Your thoughts, and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.